Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2004, 07:53 PM

Default 2 Party 2/4nl 6max hands

What do you think about these? How u would have played them?
In hand 1) UTG seemed quite good player and was playing back if noticed any weakness...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (6 max, 5 handed)

MP ($100)
Button ($983.40)
SB ($464.70)
Hero ($414.20)
UTG ($584)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. MP posts a blind of $6.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises to $8</font>, MP (poster) folds, Button folds, SB folds, Hero calls $4.

Flop: ($24) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, UTG calls $20.

Turn: ($64) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $50</font>, UTG calls $50.

River: ($164) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets $125</font>, Hero?

Hand 2)

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (6 max, 6 handed)

Hero ($407.90)
SB ($203.20)
BB ($171.50)
UTG ($228.40)
MP ($592.50)
CO ($243.10)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, MP folds, CO calls $4, Hero calls $4, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($16) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets $4</font>, Hero calls $4, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: ($24) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">CO bets $4</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $15</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises to $26</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $40</font>, CO calls $14.

River: ($104) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">CO bets $4</font>, Hero?

Results later...
Old 10-06-2004, 09:13 PM

Default Re: 2 Party 2/4nl 6max hands

Hand 1 i fold. i think on the turn he has a flush draw and a pair, possibly AK. I'd put out a bet of about 1/3 of the pot and fold to a raise.

hand 2 looks like a blocking bet. I would say co has something like AA, KK. I'd raise to about $50, if he comes over the top you can safley fold.

Laters

Harry
Old 10-06-2004, 09:50 PM

Hand 1: I like your play on the flop and turn but would have folded preflop. His play REALLY looks like JT from your description of the him, it's 5 handed, and you say he's tricky/bets when he sensed weakness. Because I'm awful, I'd probably call the river only to be shown a higher flush here.

Hand 2: You are getting odds to see the turn card but I would have raised to 12-15 on the flop. This elevates the chance of busting your opponent because bells won't go off in his head when you raise the turn, and build the pot, making it toughter for him to get away. It might buy you a free/cheap river card. After the flop call, I would have raised to 20 for the first raise, and something much bigger for the re re raise. I'm not really sure what i'd do on the river here, it's tricky. I've seen some players take this "bet every street small" line with very very good hands, in this case 88 99 and 22 that you would be scared of. Against the possible range of hands that your opponent might have it seems like a reraise would be fine here ($30-$40 idk), but boy would i be sick if i got reraised here.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:19 PM

Hand 1: I would call.

Hand 2: I would raise to about 40, and fold to a reraise.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:20 AM

Hand 1) Call
You played it like you had TPTK or 2 pair the entire time, folding doesn't seem right. You should have thrownout a blocking bet and safely folded to a large re-raise.

Hand 2) Raise
Old 10-07-2004, 10:06 AM

hand 1 bet the river as a blocking bet. if he comes over the top you can fold. id bet like 40, unless he is very very very aggressive, in which casei would check call.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:26 AM

hand 1: i would check-call. i'd be very surprised if he played a set this way, as he'd be giving cheap cards to all kinds of straight and flush draws. so now he has a busted straight draw, a bigger flush, or some 2-pair (incl. the paired board) type hand. if you check, you might get a value bet from AK or KQ, and you might get a bluff from JT. i'd check and call a fairly large bet based on your description of villain.

hand 2: i like the call on the flop. then if you hit a J or T you can keep the pot small and don't have to stress about a reraise on the flop.

on the turn, make your first raise bigger. you're ahead - charge him. and make the 2nd raise a lot bigger. a min-reraise screams "i have a monster!" i'd raise the river to about 45 and fold (and cry) to a raise.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:34 AM

Default RESULTS...

Thanks for your comments. I found them helpful. I agree that in hand 1) I should have thrown out a blocking bet, and then fold to a large re-raise. What about if I had raised like ~40-50$ and then he would have min-raised. That's a fold then, is it?

Well, I called that bet and UTG had K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]-9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

In hand 2 I completely agree that my raises should have been bigger. Especially that 2nd raise, it was awful. I should have raised at least about 70$ or so.

Result of this hand and my play on the river was absolutely horrendous. Lets just say he had quads and I doubled him up and left the table... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

BTW, I don't usually play at 2/4NL, even on Party. I play usually 1/2NL and I've lot to learn on that level too. I just wanted to GAmBoool...&lt;--Bad Idea. Never do that again. Hurts your BR.

Laters,
FuzzyLogic
Old 10-08-2004, 07:46 AM

Default Re: RESULTS...

Why did you check the river in hand 1 out of curiosity? It seems like you have no idea where you are and folding is in no way an option against this player. Folding to a raise, though, would be much easier, and less costly.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:05 PM

Hand 1: This situation:

- you've been playing the hand strong on flop and turn
- opponent has just called the whole way
- river makes flush AND pairs board
- opponent bets
- you don't have boat
fold

Note that if the flush got there but didn't pair the board, then you should call a percentage of the time, assuming you can beat a bluff. However, in my experience, people will not bluff the flush if it also paired the board, against someone who has been playing strong the whole way. It is too likely that they will be bluffing into a boat. I think the only bluffs you will see in this situation will be the smallish ones.