Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2004, 06:48 PM

Default When to 3-bet AQo and when not to, that is the question.

Hi fellow posters, I would like some input on your raising standards for AQo when facing a raise. Did that sound stupid? nevermind.

I have just realised that coldcalling raises with AQo isn't very good and am trying to improve.
Now I tend to 3-bet it if i have no notes on the raiser or if he's a bad player. I tend to fold more against TA-noted players.
How do you act when there have been several limpers and then a raise? Is it ever correct to coldcall with it? I don't like 3-betting it with several players in and i'm out of position though.

Hmm, any input is appreciated. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2004, 07:00 PM

Default Re: When to 3-bet AQo and when not to, that is the question.

1) the most important thing to think about is what position is the raise coming from and how many people are in the pot. CO raises, you?.... that information alone doesn't tell you anything. Folded to CO who open raises. That tells you something. A tight CO might open raise from CO w/as little as KTo or QTs.

CO raises after 3 limpers. Now its folding time. A raise now means he probobly has some sort of hand and you could easily be trailing.

2) I find the biggest mistake people make is that they 3 bet the bad players b/c well, bad players play badly and you have a good hand. The problem with this is that there are different types of bad players. These types of players usually fall into 2 different catagories. Loose raisers and Tight raisers. Tight raisers only raise the goods. No matter how well you play post flop, its extremly hard to outplay someone when you're starting w/an inferior starting hand. Loose raisers on the other hand are great to 3 bet. These are the types of players who consider Q6s a capping hand and will frequently raise their low pp's.

3) When in doubt about a player, check pt for the averages of the level playing. If the average is 30% vol and 7% raise it means that these players are probobly raising decent hands.

Its ok to fold a good hand once in a while to avoid a sticky situation. Its a lot cheaper to fold pf than loose a lot by a dominated hand that had no busines being there in the first place
Old 10-06-2004, 08:13 PM

Without a read, AQo is an easy fold to a preflop raise. That's the same advice SSHE gives and it's pretty good.

The problem is that in a lot of these small stakes games there are a lot of people who play very loosely but only raise with AA-JJ and AK. So playing AQo you stand to play in a potentially dominated situation, and 3-betting will only compound the problem, getting heads up with the initial raiser.

AQs however, is fine to cold call a raise.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:02 PM

Of course, a good number of players also raise any A or any pair or any two paint. I have a hard time folding AQ when I have position on the raiser and do not yet have a read on him.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course, a good number of players also raise any A or any pair or any two paint. I have a hard time folding AQ when I have position on the raiser and do not yet have a read on him.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly why the answer is "it depends."

3-betting AQo has gotten me into more trouble. At least when I 3-bet AJo/99/88/77 I have an idiot read to work with or we're in a blind war situation.

There are a fair number weak/tight players at 2/4 3/6 and 5/10. These are the guys at the table you're least likely to have a read on. I remember when I first exported PT stats and was surprised at the number of them that jumped out of the woodwork. I couldn't remember ever having played a hand with them. Many around ~14% VP$IP ~2% PFR. 3-betting them would be a disaster. Yet, if it's your default line with AQo, you inevitably will do so.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:27 PM

The simple yet not so simple answer is "when you think more often then not Aqo will dominate your opponnet, rather then your Aqo being dominated. Example: If you think your opponnet is in a position to raise with a much wider range of hands, basically in a steal position, or first to raise in LMP or LP then I would typically reraise with AQo. Also note that AQo is a considerable advantage against a mid or low pair here if you do get it heads up. Sure he'll win a showdown 50%+, but you will extract more bets from a mid-low pair for three reasons here.
1. You have position.
2. When you are behind you are drawing very live, unless he/she happens to catch the occasional set, and your opponnet is typically drawing to two outs when behind.
3. It is far more difficult to tell whether the mid pair is good when out of position on many flops heads up, and therefore much more difficult to play without losing some bets to find out.

Basically I will 3-bet Aqo unless my opponet must have a strong raising hand to raise in the situation where he is raising.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:58 PM

as a fellow poster, i am offering my 2cents and realize it may not be optimal. when i have AQo, and i am not SURE what to do- i fold everytime. this seems reasonable to me. i try and use factors such as raiser's estimated standards from prior play, how many people are in and their standards, my position, raisers position, etc to make the judgement. if the bell goes off in my head that i am pretty sure my hand and position/circumstance is going to be better.... then i 3-bet. Otherwise, i fold. I find myself folding more than 3-betting. When i do 3-bet, it is usually the right decision.

i think this is at the very least a solid starting point, that could be improved upon with more thought/experience.

hope that helps
Old 10-06-2004, 11:37 PM

A 7% raise means they're raising as low as AT, 99 and KJs, maybe even lower. A 2-3% raise means they pretty much only raise the big pairs AK and most of the time AQ/TT, sometimes KQs/o.

My PF raise number is a shade off 10% and I have a very wide range of raising hands. I hope you would 3-bet behind me if I did raise from MP on down. Otherwise, you're giving me too much control over the table.

I agree with your last statement. But a player shouldn't run and hide with AQo just because they face a raise that looks reasonable (not a steal). While folding costs you little, it can cost you.

- Jim
Old 10-06-2004, 11:43 PM

I meant all things combined make it a fold to me
Old 10-06-2004, 11:50 PM

that's a very good point. glad you made it. i do think i fold AQo more than I should. on the other hand i think you do need to be selective, b/c if you indescrimiately 3bet AQo i believe that you would turn a good hand into a loser. (Of course i have no math to back up this claim.)

My Pf raise % for full ring is almost 8%, and i just realized that AQo should 3bet against me more often than it does. most of the weak players cold call.