Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2004, 12:15 PM

Default 15/30 interesting hand

Online 15/30.

4 limpers and the sb limp, I raise from the bb with AdJd. Flop T98 rainbow with a diamond. Sb checks, I bet and get 2 calls from limpers. The turn is the 4d, giving me the nut flush draw. I check, the first limper bets, second limper folds, I call. River is the 8c. I bet.
How did I do?
Old 10-06-2004, 12:21 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: 15/30 interesting hand

i don't get the turn check. you can't really mind a raise with a power draw like that, and you are still vulnerable to a single pair. i also don't see the point of the river bet because they know you don't have an 8 and you're not likely to get called by a worse hand. generally hate it starting at the turn.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:27 PM

What's with the Preflop raise? Doesn't this hand play much easier if you just check your BB option. That would set up a powerful turn C/R that may be your only chance to take this down. I sort of like the river bet since you aren't going to win a showdown, But this hand just looks like you spewed chips at all the wrong times, realistically what are you representing with a PF Raise, Flop bet, Turn Check Call, River Bet? From the other side of the table, A Missed AK/AQ or a small pocket pair. No one with a piece of the board is going anywhere.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:35 PM

I like your pre-flop and flop play but I really thnik you gotta bet this turn. You have plenty of outs if you're behind and may just well pick up the pot. The only semi-interesting point would be waht to do on the river if you wiff and are bet called on the turn.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:48 PM

Yuk. Bet the turn.

-ActionBob
Old 10-06-2004, 01:26 PM

Seems like your river bet will not move anyone off a better hand, and you will only be called by better hands.

I would have just bet this all the way.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:29 PM

You're losing too much pf equity by not raising this pre-flop. There was no raise pf by anyone else, so trying to set up a turn C/R is not a good idea. You have no idea if anyone will bet the flop, and if they do, if they will bet the turn. Even if you raise pf, you can still go for a flop check-raise if you so desire.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:45 PM

The river bet looks awful.

I don't think you're picking up any calls from K high here so it can't be for value. It looks terribly suspicious, so you can't get a better hand to fold. You're not giving another missed straight draw a chance to bluff. And you're inviting raises from all sorts of hands hoping that this is a pure desperation bet.

Check-call seems infinitely better if you're willing to put in a big bet on the river.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:49 PM

I pretty much agree with everything people said here. I played this hand poorly. Thanks for verification.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:13 PM

Maybe I'm getting too tight lately, I've been folding AJs UTG and UTG +1, So though I can see calling a raise with it from the BB, I'm not so sure about raising it up from there. From my experience, when you hit the flop hard with this hand, you are less likely to get action after a preflop raise, and when you miss the flop you have no choice but to keep up the agression having no idea what's behind you. You end up playing AJs like it's AA, and of course after a turn check, you just end up sort of flailing around in the dark.