Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2004, 03:18 PM

Default When to go to higher stakes?

I've been playing for a living for about a year now, mostly playing the tourneys on party, and the nl100 rooms there. I've been killing the nl100 rooms, and I'm curious when the time is right to move up to higher stakes? I've been leary about doing this since the games I'm playing now are so easy to beat.
Basically I'm curious what kind of bankroll you'd want to have to play 2/4nl, 3/6, 5/10 etc. I've been winning about 9BB/100, or $36/100 hands at my current level(nl1/2), and I'm sure I wouldn't have the same results at 5/10.
So, should I stick with the easier tables, or move up? I'm sure this subject had been brought up many times in the past, but I'm interested in some feedback.

Thanks,
jeff
Old 10-05-2004, 04:33 PM

Default Re: When to go to higher stakes?

bankroll, while an important issue shouldnt be your main concern if you play for a living (you should have a large enough roll to take a shot every once in a while). Have you ever sat at a higher game? A lot of the time, its not as tough as you think. Take a shot here and there. If you feel comfortable, continue to do it. The advice I've gotten before was to simply take a couple shots. See if you can beat it. Even if you arent beating it as well as you beat the lower game. It will take time to adjust. And I guess the main thing is, there is no shame in dropping back down if you aren't successful. Hopefully that helped somewhat.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bankroll, while an important issue shouldnt be your main concern if you play for a living (you should have a large enough roll to take a shot every once in a while). Have you ever sat at a higher game? A lot of the time, its not as tough as you think. Take a shot here and there. If you feel comfortable, continue to do it. The advice I've gotten before was to simply take a couple shots. See if you can beat it. Even if you arent beating it as well as you beat the lower game. It will take time to adjust. And I guess the main thing is, there is no shame in dropping back down if you aren't successful. Hopefully that helped somewhat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played 2/4 many times, and played the 5/10 at pstars yesterday, but I played too tight for my liking. I did play the 25/50 at UB when I was on a good streak, but I was definitely out of my league there.
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll play some 3/6 this week and see how it goes.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played 2/4 many times, and played the 5/10 at pstars yesterday, but I played too tight for my liking. I did play the 25/50 at UB when I was on a good streak, but I was definitely out of my league there.
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll play some 3/6 this week and see how it goes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Well, I decided to go up in stakes today, and boy did it pay off for me. As I said a couple hours ago, I decided to try some 3/6 on pstars. I bought in for about 420 (i made a deposit of 200 last night). I told myself before the session I was not going to play any differently that I would at my normal smaller game. After making a successfull bluff in the first hand I played I was up $100 to start. While still in the first orbit I picked up a set and collected another 300. After bluffing off 120 with nine high, I struggled for a bit but I kept playing and quickly found myself sitting at $1250 when this hand came up. I hope to get the info correct since I already closed pstars, and I'm not sure how to get the hh anyways.

Dealt to hero on the button (AKos)
MP limps ($6). MP+1 raises to $12. Hero raises to $42.
Both call, and flop comes A62 three suits.
MP check MP+1 checks, hero bet $72
MP raises $250, hero calls.
Turn 8 (not sure about this, but it's irrelivant).
MP bets 330, hero calls.
River 2 pairs the board.
MP is all in. Hero thinks, and sweats for a while, and finally calls ~$650.
MP shows TT, hero wins pot $2667.

MP said I should of folded to his "set", but I didn't believe he had 66, and definitely didn't believe he had quad twos. He said he put me on KK, though I don't know why he thought I'd put so much in with KK with an ace on the board.
I feel like I played the hand well all the way through in my raising, and decisions, but I'd obviously feel differently if MP showed me 66 instead of TT.
So, what about this hand? How would you of played it?

jeff
Old 10-05-2004, 09:27 PM

Ok, here's the official account of the hand.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $6 BB (9 handed) converter

MP3 ($974.25)
Hero ($1263.50)
Button ($696)
SB ($237.15)
BB ($827.60)
UTG ($498.50)
UTG+1 ($275.85)
MP1 ($502.90)
MP2 ($1324.55)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $6, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises to $12</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $42</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, MP2 calls $36, MP3 calls $30.

Flop: ($135) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
MP2 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $72</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises to $234</font>, MP3 folds, Hero calls $162.

Turn: ($603) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP2 bets $330</font>, Hero calls $330.

River: ($1263) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP2 bets $718.55 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls $657.50 (All-In).

Final Pot: $2639.05
<font color="green">Main Pot: $2578, between Hero and MP2.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero ($2578).</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: $61.05, returned to MP2.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
MP2 has Th Ts (two pair, tens and twos).
Hero has As Kc (two pair, aces and twos).
Outcome: Hero wins $2578. MP2 wins $61.05. </font>
Old 10-05-2004, 09:33 PM

you usually lose that hand. especially with that size turn bet
Old 10-05-2004, 09:38 PM

I'd fold the turn.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd fold the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

You both said you'd fold the turn. Do you care to give reasons why?
Old 10-05-2004, 10:11 PM

mp2 very likely has a pocket pair or some strange hand based on preflop action. given the flush draw on the flop, he could very easily be raising a set here. on the turn it looks like he wants a call. so your either against a very strangly played AQ, a set/2 pair, or a very bad bluff with a mid pocket pair. most times you are versus a hand you are behind. it helps to have a read backing your whole stack with this hand, based on how he played it. i probably fold the flop given his preflop action. i probably wouldnt be folding the turn, as if i called the flop and even saw the turn, i woudnt be plannign to fold to a turn bet
Old 10-05-2004, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel like I played the hand well all the way through in my raising, and decisions

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, if this is your standard play, you'll likely go broke even in 3/6, much less 5/10 or higher.

If I were you I'd practice a while at Stars 1/2 and 2/4 before taking more shots at 3/6 or 5/10.