Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2004, 10:43 PM

Default Was I running scared with otherwise strong trips?

I don't have notes on these players, but none of them seem outright fishy.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP2 checks, Button checks. - I thought the slow play here would be okay since there was a rainbow and no overcards.

Turn: (2 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls. Okay, I cap it, but I'm nervous.

River: (10 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls. - my kicker is okay, but I'm still scared after the last cap.

Final Pot: 14 BB
Old 10-04-2004, 11:36 PM

Default Re: Was I running scared with otherwise strong trips?

Looks ok by me, though I might only check call the river after my opponent capped the turn if they have been especially tight with their chips. Otherwise, I'm shovelling away.

- Jim
Old 10-05-2004, 10:48 AM

He ended up showing Q5 for the boat. I know after the flop, raising would not have scared him off, but would have sent the rest of the table packing (which is what happened anyway). I can take solace in the fact that I had the better kicker, I just wasn't sure how far to press it on the turn and river. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 10-05-2004, 10:52 AM

Your opponents may call one bet on this flop with as little as an ace or a medium pocket pair. I think you're missing a few SB's on the flop in general -- I usually bet out with a hand like this.

Rob