Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2004, 09:50 PM

Default Advantages to 6 max?

I am a first time poster after lurking for several months. I have managed only to become about a break even player to this point and want to continue to learn and become profitable.

The question i have is about the advantages of playing 6 max tables when playing limit hold em. It seems that most of the winning players, when refering to their prefered tables, usually play 6 max over full ring games. I have always played full ring, and was wondering it there is some significant advantages, long term, to playing 6 max. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I apologize because I am sure this topic has been discussed many times prior, but i cant find anything in the search. Thanks again.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:08 PM

Default Re: Advantages to 6 max?

The biggest advantage is that less players means more hands/hour. For a winning player, that means more $ per hour. There may be other advantages, but I don't play enough 6 max to comment on much else.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:42 PM

I've just started crossing over from full games to short. In addition to money considerations I find the SH games to be more enjoyable because you actually get to play (as opposed to folding all the time in a full game).

This article will help to answer your questions and get you started.

Peace,
J
Old 10-05-2004, 11:30 AM

I guess the appeal is bad players overvalue their hand and you get to see more hands per hour but everytime i play 6 max i have a losing session due to the constent rivers.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:35 AM

So generally speaking, can you expect more, less, or the same variance as in a full ring game?

Edit: I just started reading the linked article which answers my question a bit, but wondering what the experience of the players here has been.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So generally speaking, can you expect more, less, or the same variance as in a full ring game?

[/ QUOTE ]

More, but also more profit. (Although I'm personally still working on the profit part...got plenty of the variance though. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] )

J
Old 10-05-2004, 03:02 PM

Many players like schneids and gonores aren't good enough players to beat full table games, so they have to play 6 max.

Most 10/20 6max players that have moved to 15/30 make significantly more there.

Actually I think there are more winning 15/30 full table players than 10/20 6max players.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Many players like schneids and gonores aren't good enough players to beat full table games, so they have to play 6 max.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you really serious
Old 10-05-2004, 03:28 PM

More marginal hands played, thus more difficult post flop decisions.

Player reads are more important too as you're playing with the same 4-5 people in a lot of hands together.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:06 PM

Are you really serious

No, he's not serious about them being no good, they are both great players.

I like the 6 max much more bc i think full ring limit games online tend to be mind numbing unless you have 6-8 tables going. Even then, its not nearly as much fun as 6 max, for me at least.

I dont think the difference in potential earnings for the same amount of tables is
that significant, but i havent played the 15/30.

My reasoning is that while the stakes at 15/30 are 50% higher, you are seeing like 40-50% more hands at the 6 max. Plus, many people who consider themselves good poker players dont have a clue when it comes to 6 max.

fsuplayer