Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2004, 04:18 PM

Default KQs v. UTG raise (or Ed Miller made me do it?)

UTG is a known opponent (very tight ABC player) There's a 98% chance his raise here is AA-TT, AK or AQs.

given my opponent's range of hands (he later told me what he had and my read was correct) is my preflop call and turn raise standard or did I misapply SSHE and get lucky?

comments on other streets and his play (missed flop check-raise) welcome too.

thanks.

-Jeff

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, Hero calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, MP3 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (4.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 7.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 6.25 BB, won by Hero.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: 1 BB, returned to Hero.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
No showdown. Hero wins 7.25 BB. </font>
Old 10-04-2004, 04:22 PM

Default Re: KQs v. UTG raise (or Ed Miller made me do it?)

Where in SSH does it tell you to cold call getting 2.5:1 odds with a dominated hand?

edit - I guess there is a small chance you are in a coinflip with J-J
Old 10-04-2004, 04:36 PM

Against the player you described this is an easy fold preflop.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
UTG is a known opponent (very tight ABC player) There's a 98% chance his raise here is AA-TT, AK or AQs.

[/ QUOTE ]

with this description i can't even guess why you'd want to do anything but fold.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:47 PM

I think your perception of his preflop standards is too tight, especially considering how this hand went down. I'd be very surprised if he had anything better than king-high on the turn.

Having said that, if you were to encounter someone who raised as tightly as you said, you should fold KQs in that spot. My advice to call with the hand assumes typical (i.e., much looser) raisers.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:34 PM

Often I don't have a read when I play online. Either I've never played with the guy before or am multitabling and just don't have much of a chance to study any given player.

In those "no read" default situations, is KQs a cold-calling hand?

I just wonder whether we are looking for a reason to fold, or looking for a reason to call here... What is the default play.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:04 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
Often I don't have a read when I play online. Either I've never played with the guy before or am multitabling and just don't have much of a chance to study any given player

[/ QUOTE ]

How about sticking to as many tables as you can handle where you can get a line on the players somewhat. Put some effort into learning the opponents. You should have some line within a couple orbits. At least the table texture.

[ QUOTE ]
In those "no read" default situations, is KQs a cold-calling hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you throw money in with unknown variables? This is an easy fold. If there were a few callers inbetween, you might see the flop.

Default is to fold. You don't know enough about the table/players to make this call if they are unknown.

b
Old 10-05-2004, 11:32 AM

Thanks Bernie
Old 10-05-2004, 12:15 PM

OK, so maybe this was a trick question. When I say opponent was known I meant known in that he's played in my home game. He's a by-the-numbers guy that has HPFAP's hand rankings memorized and rarely deviates from their recommendations. He gives his opponents too much credit and folds too much in my opinion. He had KK and prides himself on making tough laydowns and folding to turn raises.

Against typical opponents and my assumption that it was going be at least four handed (UTG raiser, 1 coldcaller, myself, one of button/SB/BB) I still think a call is fine.

Against this player perhaps I thought I could outplay him post-flop? Perhaps I know that he knows that I know how he plays and that for me to raise him on the turn after he had raised preflop meant I must've had him beat? Maybe it was one of those cases where the brain says fold and the beer says call. Who knows?

On the flop I was prepared to fold my two overcard backdoor flush draw before it got checked around. Was this correct?

bottom line: against this player I agree that I shoud've folded preflop.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:18 PM

bottom line: against this player I agree that I shoud've folded preflop.

Your opponent played terribly. Check the flop, then fold on the turn when an ace comes. Putrid.