Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2004, 03:01 AM

Default poker plays looked down upon?? or are ppl jealous

ive gotten numerous opinions on what i do, been called a lowlife(jokingly) by a friend but i got pissed off, others tell me i got a kick ass job, but i also notice when we are in home games ppl always want me to lose and will say stuff like i dont work for my money, i feel like im looked down upon or ppl are just hating cuz im banking it. do u professionals deal w/ this??? i hate this cuz i study so hard in this game, just like most ppl go to school to study(i didnt), but im looked at like a bum
Old 10-04-2004, 03:05 AM

Default Re: poker plays looked down upon?? or are ppl jealous

[ QUOTE ]
ive gotten numerous opinions on what i do, been called a lowlife(jokingly) by a friend but i got pissed off, others tell me i got a kick ass job, but i also notice when we are in home games ppl always want me to lose and will say stuff like i dont work for my money, i feel like im looked down upon or ppl are just hating cuz im banking it. do u professionals deal w/ this??? i hate this cuz i study so hard in this game, just like most ppl go to school to study(i didnt), but im looked at like a bum

[/ QUOTE ]

How old are you? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2004, 03:24 AM

Maybe one of the reasons that you get upset is that you are a losing money player and possibly a gambling addict trying to convince friends that you are a professional.

-Michael
Old 10-04-2004, 04:32 AM

I believe it's a legitimate concern.

Playing poker for a living isn't exactly the most respectable of professions. It's definitely not the first thing you'd bring up with a date on Friday night.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:34 AM

"Playing poker for a living isn't exactly the most respectable of professions. It's definitely not the first thing you'd bring up with a date on Friday night. "

thats pretty funny, because i once used the "i play poker all the time" line to try to make a horrible drunken mistake go away. i figured she would tell me to get lost. nope. she didn't care. moral of the story: never hook up with a girl until you see her sober.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:39 AM

Whatever. El Diablo once pointed this out. Paying for a drink with a $100 and a stack to back that one up is a huge aphrodisiac. I don't know many who aren't live poker players that carry around that kind of jack in green.

-Michael
Old 10-04-2004, 05:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Whatever. El Diablo once pointed this out. Paying for a drink with a $100 and a stack to back that one up is a huge aphrodisiac. I don't know many who aren't live poker players that carry around that kind of jack in green.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps, but you'll look like a showoff retard to most people. There just isn't a reason to be flashing the money like that.

That and while I don't want to appear to be a bum I don't want a girl interested in me cause I have money. It's totally not what I want in a girl...what's funny is my current gf cares so little about the money I make it's almost a downer to me. Like she anti-uses me. It's like what? I keep telling her...really can pay for this, don't worry but she always wants to pay for herself. And while she's really proud that I do so well, it couldn't make a diffence in the world to her...sometimes I wish it would I guess.

We met before I made any money and I do kinda like it that way.

About the whole carrying money thing...when I came back from vegas I had 10k in cash...and I gotta say it's a real sweet feeling to just physically hold that kind of money. perhaps it's sick, but I enjoyed it.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:35 AM

my gf is like that as well. I feel lucky. It reminds me that its just a game - you can't take yourself too seriously. She puts up with the game because I enjoy and its important for me. That atttitude helps during the bad runs of cards.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:49 AM

My GF could care less whether I'm a poker-player or not. She knows nothing about it but can tell that I take it very seriously, succeed at it, and have no problem getting a 'real' job if it doesn't work.

As far as the general public is concerned....I don't really like to talk about it too much because of the inevitable questions one gets.
I frequently just say that I have a job that allows me to work at home from my computer and kind of dodge it as much as i conveniently can.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:34 PM

It's too dangerous to be flashing the green unless you're in an exclusive restaurant or something. In most places the average joe will go, flashing cash is something that could get you mugged or followed home. Maybe not that very time, but people remember and tell stories.

I used to play live 10/20 15/30 stud a lot, and so usually carried a grand or two in cash almost all the time, but I sure wouldn't want to have anyone knowing about it.

Not to mention, flashing cash is seen by many people, not without justification, as crass. Kind of like the gambler's version of gangsta "over-gold," wearing too many gold chains and rings.