Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2004, 01:34 AM

Default 50 NL Hand

I have about 50, BB has about 40, and Button has about 65.

I limp UTG with 88, button calls, BB checks

Flop (3.35) KT8 with a spade draw

BB bets 3, I raise to 9, Button calls, BB calls

Turn (30) 3s

BB checks, I check, Button bets 20, BB folds, Hero ?

Results to come later.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:47 AM

Default Re: 50 NL Hand

This is somewhat opponent-dependent, but barring a good read, I think you have to get rid of this. If an opponent cold-calls a large bet on a 2-suited board, you have to put him on a flush draw with fairly high probability. You're not getting anything close to correct odds to chase the boat, even if he's bad enough to pay you off when you hit.

In general, I think you played this just fine, as long as you planned to push on the turn. The villain's only getting one card to flush (8 or 9 outs, about 4-1) and he's calling $9 to win $21. The BB is almost certainly drawing nearly dead, so you're just rolling in equity. Muck this one and satisfy yourself with your long term expectation
Old 10-04-2004, 02:42 PM

i woulda said to call it. you're paying 20 and you'll hit about 2/9, so you need to win 90 when you win (including the 20 you'll put in as a call). the pot was 30, your 20, his 20 makes 70. that means when you hit your FH, you have to get another 20 (on average). i think you can do that. i'd be shocked to see a NL50 player lay down a made flush on the river after the board paired for a ~1/2 pot bet.

you also have equity from the other guy having something like QJ (missed OESD) and checking behind on the river.

for a full-pot bet, it's a tough choice, but i'd call the 20. i'd definitely call it if i had the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (so you'll have extra outs to pass a hand like 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]).
Old 10-04-2004, 04:01 PM

Your pot odds are just barely there assuming he'll pay you off if you fill up, which means you should probably fold if you believe he has the flush. If you think there's a decent chance he's bluffing, its a call.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:11 PM

Maybe I'm weak tight, but I fold it. Like a previous poster stated, if someone is willing to call a large flop bet, you have to give them credit for the flush draw.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i woulda said to call it. you're paying 20 and you'll hit about 2/9, so you need to win 90 when you win (including the 20 you'll put in as a call). the pot was 30, your 20, his 20 makes 70. that means when you hit your FH, you have to get another 20 (on average). i think you can do that. i'd be shocked to see a NL50 player lay down a made flush on the river after the board paired for a ~1/2 pot bet.

you also have equity from the other guy having something like QJ (missed OESD) and checking behind on the river.

for a full-pot bet, it's a tough choice, but i'd call the 20. i'd definitely call it if i had the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (so you'll have extra outs to pass a hand like 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]).

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree with this...you have to think about implied odds. It's pretty doubtful he would lay down a flush if the river paired, seeing as he's already committed about half his stack to this pot.