Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2004, 04:51 PM

Default KK in CO against LAG

Club in New York NL 1/2. LAG in BB with ~600 behind, I'm in CO with KK offsuit and about ~650 behind.

First thing is LAG has been calling me a "tight-XXXX" all night, generally avoiding pots I've been in. He chases a lot, but shuts down on the river if he misses. I bluffed him out of a pot about 30 minutes ago with A high and showed -- he was silent about this, but I don't know what it meant. My A high might have even been good.

Someone folds 34o out of turn screaming at the dealer, others fold around to me, I make it 10, LAG calls.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. My offsuit kings are spadeless. He checks I check.

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. He bets 20 I instantly call.

River: blank. He bets 20 I call.

The dealer talked to me later about this hand saying I should have raised the turn or river. I called because I was almost positive my hand was good, but was worried about the minute possibility of a trap. Can I make a small river raise? If so what hand does LAG have? Yes this smells weak tight, but with us fairly deep stacked and an ace coming over I felt that I would be ahead enough of the times to call down, but behind enough that a raise would be silly. Even if I'm ahead he might move all in and force my hand to fold [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].
Old 10-03-2004, 05:09 PM

Default Re: KK in CO against LAG

Against the player you described this looks good. I would sometimes bet the flop against a weaker/tighter player.

-SmileyEH
Old 10-03-2004, 07:54 PM

offsuited kings huh? your hand would have been much stronger in this situation had they been suited.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:13 PM

I agree, but I tend to fold those. It's a trap hand.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:34 PM

I'd have played it the same way, which means you were probably wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
Even if I'm ahead he might move all in and force my hand to fold [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the key. Against a player who won't reraise with a worse hand on the river but who may call with one, you can make a value raise hoping he has a made hand or decides to look you up with a missed draw. But opponents like that are a special kind of retarded that you don't seem to be up against here.

[ QUOTE ]
I bluffed him out of a pot about 30 minutes ago with A high and showed -- he was silent about this, but I don't know what it meant. My A high might have even been good.

[/ QUOTE ]

why? did you think you were greek?
Old 10-03-2004, 11:56 PM

I posted this hand partly to figure out how fast you'd post a reply Ed [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]. Greek? Something I'm not understanding. BTW, when's Sammy getting the 1/2 no max going again? I'm itching.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:59 PM

raising here is beyoud awful. you played it fine.
what hand does this dealer expect him to pay you off with when you raise?
Old 10-04-2004, 12:22 AM

Exactly what the simian creature had -- QTo. Argument goes that my PFR and flop check should have suggested to the LAG I had a middling pocket pair, and that he would call some insignificant raise. He was a curious george, and may have called with a silly pocket pair himself just to see what this "tight-XXXX" had.

The creature truly was simian -- calling a turn all in with open trips on a flush board, saying "I know you hit your flush, I just want to catch my full house" and rivering quads.

But I didn't know how much to read into this at the time of the hand, and didn't know just how curious or bad he was. My read was LAG and chaser, as is all I mentioned in the post and as silly as he was on all other streets, he seemed genuinely disinterested in standing up for small pots on the river. I was just doubling back to my A-high bluff and worried about the consequences of raising the river when he knew me capable of bluffing.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:11 AM

I am more greek

Hopefully Sammy's 1/2 game goes again soon - I wish I had been able to play in the first one.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:25 AM

Even if he would call a modest raise w/QT, which would be retarded, a re-raise makes you want to puke, so you played it fine.