Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2004, 12:22 PM

Default ho hum

ive been only sitting for 10 hands, but have a feeling the guy behind me is bad aggressive, but im not sure. comments on the whole hand please, not just the river. i havnt played really in like 3 or 4 weeks, and having played shorthanded 3/6 or 5/10 in a long time. this is kinda just a random hand so i can learn to play goood

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $6 BB (4 handed)

UTG ($459.80)
Button ($74.65)
Hero ($467.65)
BB ($429.30)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, Button calls $6, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $20</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises to $34</font>, Button folds, Hero calls $14.

Flop: ($74) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets $84</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $180</font>, BB calls $96.

Turn: ($434) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks.

River: ($434) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets $215.3 (All-In)</font>

Final Pot: $864.60
Old 10-02-2004, 12:34 PM

Default Re: i play bat

You had a feeling he is a bad player?
This might sound crazy but I think he had QQ or A10s!
Would he re-raise you preflop with A10s though?
That bet on the flop screams of overpair and then it seems like he might have either hit his set on the turn, and bad players love to slow play hands like that when they hit like that...He might have had JJ too though...one of those three..
Old 10-02-2004, 02:03 PM

Default Re: ho hum

Hi BK,

You played it well, and probably took it down, since you called. If he was ahead on the turn, he made a mistake by checking. The only way his play is defensible IMO is if he had AA or KK, and worried about QQ, but not once you checked twice. More likely, he had a T or some junk, and decided to try an ill-timed bluff on the end.

I would be looking to get the rest of my stack in, once he calls the turn. To do that, I'd bet it all, or about 120. If you felt you had a better chance of being ahead by inducing a bluff, OK, but there are a lot of draws available, and your check seems like the Q scared you.
Old 10-02-2004, 03:00 PM

i would like to hear about what people think about the flop check raise (most notably the size) and the turn check.

[ QUOTE ]
I would be looking to get the rest of my stack in, once he calls the turn. To do that, I'd bet it all, or about 120. If you felt you had a better chance of being ahead by inducing a bluff, OK, but there are a lot of draws available, and your check seems like the Q scared you.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the reply. why is making it seem like the queen scared me a bad thing? the main reason i checked was because i didnt feel like representing a hand that was stronger than mine, and i didtn want to lose action vs mid pockets, 10's, or crap.

also i was kind of hoping (maybe not HOPING, but it wouldnt bother me) if a spade dropped. thoughts?
Old 10-02-2004, 03:01 PM

small additional info that i just remembered. the one hand we played together, excatly one orbit ago, i raised from the SB and he thought for about 10-15 seconds, then folded.
Old 10-02-2004, 03:30 PM

i have a feeling he has AKs and made a horrible check on the turn. What happened?
Old 10-02-2004, 03:56 PM

It's pretty unclear from the preflop action whether you have the best hand or not, given that he has position on you I'd say most of the time you are but AA-QQ are certainly not unlikely.

On the flop, I like your line if you have AA or KK, with Jacks it seems like you could be getting yourself into trouble. You're not going to move him off queens or kings so there is little benefit to representing AA. By nearly min. - raising you give him great odds to chase draws and gain little information if he calls.

I believe in this situation you should lead out for the pot on the flop, you have a good but vulnerable holding, and you can still get away from it if his action doesn't feel right.

Given the previous action I believe a check on the flop is correct, you'll never get a better hand to fold and you'll rarely be called by a worse hand in that spot.

On the river, he's either got something big like a set or garbage. I think you have to call getting 3-1.
Old 10-02-2004, 04:13 PM

On the river I think he could have AA or KK as well.

I agree, I don't really like the check/raise. I'm not sure how to play it though, I might check/call the flop and see what happens. Do people think this is too weak/tight?
Old 10-02-2004, 04:29 PM

Bruiser,

I don't like check/calling this flop. Again, you don't gain any information by doing so.

By betting the flop after he re-raised you preflop you are putting the decision on your opponent, his action therefore allows you to better understand his holding.

C/ring this flop is a representation of AA or KK, when there is really little benefit to representing that hand in this situation.
Old 10-02-2004, 04:36 PM

True, check/calling doesn't give information but his action on the turn will give a lot of information and this way we get one street closer to showdown while keeping pot small.