View Poll Results: 8-8 UTG+2. Folded to You
Raise 54 26.60%
Call 111 54.68%
Either Way 32 15.76%
Fold 6 2.96%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2004, 07:59 AM

Default Hypothetical voting question

I am 21 years old and do not vote, nor have I registered. Most of my friends are the same way. Now, lets say that I decide that I want to vote, and its too late to register. You and only you know some way that I can register late (I am unaware that you have this knowledge), but I have made it well known that I plan on voting for the guy opposite of who you want to win (assume just 2 parties).
Old 10-02-2004, 08:30 AM

Default My thoughts

If you are willing to show me how to register, then great. This shows that you care about getting youth to vote, which I guess is good for the nation. However, it also just goes to show that my vote does not mean a damn thing.

If you pretend you dont know how, then you probably care more about yourself and winning than the benefit of the nation as a whole.
Old 10-02-2004, 10:18 AM

Default Re: My thoughts

[ QUOTE ]
This shows that you care about getting youth to vote, which I guess is good for the nation. However, it also just goes to show that my vote does not mean a damn thing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, it means I believe in democracy and would prefer that every eligible voter did so. This nation would be a much different (and better) place if we had a turnout in the 90s.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:20 AM

I think "getting youth to vote" is not necessarily a good thing at all (although some youths may be well-informed and logical enough to employ a rational decision-making process).

By and large youth is pretty ignorant, and more likely than older voters to analyze things emotionally rather than rationally. Youth also has a strong tendency towards strong idealism which is so impractical that it can never work. You may be an exception.

That said, I would not withhold voter registration information from anyone if they asked me and I knew the answer.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
By and large youth is pretty ignorant, and more likely than older voters to analyze things emotionally rather than rationally.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I dont get. I have this ex-gf who is super gung-ho republican. i know for a fact that she never even considers voting anything but. The details of the situation do not matter. Democrats are evil in her eyes and she wouldnt be caught dead voting for one. This is something that is going to stick with her for the rest of her life. I can only assume this is how many people are. Its just plain stupid.

[ QUOTE ]
You may be an exception.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe, but I am SERIOUSLY more interested in what I am going to have for dinner tonight than who wins this election.
Old 10-02-2004, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Hypothetical voting question

So you think someone should help you circumvent the election laws just to help a baby faced child cast an uninformed vote? I do not think that would be a prudent decision.

Jimbo
Old 10-02-2004, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you think someone should help you circumvent the election laws just to help a baby faced child cast an uninformed vote? I do not think that would be a prudent decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

You completely missed the point and you know it. But you sure do talk fancy.
Old 10-02-2004, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You completely missed the point and you know it. But you sure do talk fancy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually you missed the only valid point in your own post. Who you were planning on voting for would have no effect on the decsion of most people when considering helping you to break the election laws. Now I do agree a democrat would be more likely to help you than a Republican but that was not implied anywhere in your post.

Jimbo
Old 10-02-2004, 02:09 PM

Markl44 posed a hypothetical, he never mentioned that it would break any laws. If it was legal would it change your answer?
Old 10-02-2004, 04:11 PM

If we were in Ohio or Florida I wouldn't show you. Otherwise I would.