Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2004, 08:26 PM

Default 88 pocket overpair

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. MP2 posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 (poster) checks, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, SB calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

River: (12.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, SB calls, Hero ???

Do we call this? How about the rest of the hand? Flop overplayed? Turn bet a bit much? Chime in folks.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:58 PM

Default Re: 88 pocket overpair

check-call the turn for 1 bet.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
check-call the turn for 1 bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?
Old 09-30-2004, 11:04 PM

The K didn't help him. If you called the raise on the turn, you should call this bet, unless you're concerned about having to overcall the SB.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:13 PM

Hi-
The flop 3-bet I like. I'd probably wuss out and just call.
But the turn I am unsure about.
When SB doesn't raise I think you're either way behind MP2 or you're good. Must call the river bet - you are good at least 10% of the time, likely much more.

-t
Old 09-30-2004, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The K didn't help him. If you called the raise on the turn, you should call this bet, unless you're concerned about having to overcall the SB.

[/ QUOTE ]

The K didn't help him, but it also didn't help me. I had straight outs to (possibly) bail me out if the turn completed his draw. I'm not really worried about overcalling. SB probably would have raised his flush. I felt there was very little chance I was good. I called anyway... but I think it was most likely a bad decision.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Must call the river bet - you are good at least 10% of the time, likely much more.

-t

[/ QUOTE ]

You think so? Bah. My river play sucks. I'm swinging between folding/calling too much.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:29 PM

Dude, don't assume you are wrong.
Compared to me, I think you are the expert here...
It's easy for me to sat, "yeah, sure, call it" without sitting there actually giving away money to these people. I'm not sure it's the correct play - I think my tendancy to call this would depend a lot on my read of the villian. If he wild and crazy, sure, he could have an overpair to my 8s, but it's equally likely he had Ax looking for the X to make a one card straight. If he's really passive, he probably has 2-pair...

Looking forward to the results.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:50 PM

It's not so much that I'm ready to concede the point... I found it interesting that your read of the situation differed so much from mine. Gives me something to think about.

I appreciate the compliment, but it would be a huge stretch to call myself an expert in relation to anyone who regularly posts here. I just have lots of practice pretending to know what I'm talking about.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He has to call the turn raise with an OESD.