Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2004, 02:05 PM

Default Am I folling myself? - Vol.$in Pot

I have almost 50k hands under my belt at the micro limit tables. To date I have been consistantly profitable. However, my vol. $ in pot appears to be unusually high given the consensus on 2+2. My number runs just under 25%. I'm wondering if this is just an issue waiting to blow up in my face. One of the strengths of my game is post flop play. Any once else have the same experience. What kind of ranges for preflop Vol. $ in pot should a player expect to still be profitable given varrying styles.

If need be I will make the necessary adjustments to my game. However, until I have a good reason to do so... ie my win rate falls to average or below, I don't see a reason to change.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Am I folling myself? - Vol.$in Pot

I've heard that around 21% is the most profitable for most .5/1 players, but I'm sure that varies. I used to be around 22%, but since discovering 2+2 it keeps declining.

Rob
Old 09-30-2004, 02:13 PM

Have you seen your win rate improve dramatically with the change? How many hands do you have under your belt?
Old 09-30-2004, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you seen your win rate improve dramatically with the change? How many hands do you have under your belt?

[/ QUOTE ]
Only 15k hands under my belt, and my winrate has improved drastically since I started cutting certain hands out and tuning my aggression up as well.

Rob
Old 09-30-2004, 02:21 PM

As of right now, 8,671 hands, by vp$ip is 20.82 with a pfr% of 9.26.

While I'd like it to be lower, I'm comfortable with it right now. For the move to 1/2 though, I'll definatly bring it down...I hope?
Old 09-30-2004, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As of right now, 8,671 hands, by vp$ip is 20.82 with a pfr% of 9.26.

While I'd like it to be lower, I'm comfortable with it right now. For the move to 1/2 though, I'll definatly bring it down...I hope?

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you know what hands are your weakness?

Mine are 55-77 (in tight games) and small suited aces (A3s-6s against tight opponents). I love the multiway value of those so much it's hard to decide when to play them and when not to.

Rob
Old 09-30-2004, 02:27 PM

i really think that a higher (than what most believe is acceptable) vpip can be profitable depending on your postflop play. POSTFLOP! postflop!
Old 09-30-2004, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i really think that a higher (than what most believe is acceptable) vpip can be profitable depending on your postflop play. POSTFLOP! postflop!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding! Ding! Ding!

That being said, 25% is a tad high, even for the .5/1 game. Even with excellent postflop skills you are probably bringing your winrate down some. But an excellent postflop player could probably be at 21-22% and make a killing.

An excellent postlfop player, however, ought to be moving up after a short while at .5/1. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2004, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you know what hands are your weakness?

Mine are 55-77 (in tight games) and small suited aces (A3s-6s against tight opponents). I love the multiway value of those so much it's hard to decide when to play them and when not to.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

So far it looks like I'm having trouble with:

Ax suited. I really need to back-off on those hands pre-flop. Any suggestions?

K9 and J9 suited are consistent BIG TIME money losers.

A 10, A Q, Q J and J 10 (all offsuit) have lost at a rate of .15 for me.

And only 55 and 33 are losers in the pocket pairs department.

Finally, I like to say THANK YOU! I've discovered some preflop leaks while writing this response. NOW I can get that vp$ip below 20!
Old 09-30-2004, 02:46 PM

The main thing is to know what hands go where and why. I'll give a couple examples but there are plenty more:

Kxs - as the tables get tighter you'll end up tossing this in almost every position

XXs in the SB - marginal with a lot of folds

Axs in EP - Requires a passive game

The lowest suited connectors for each position - tossed in tougher games

ATo/KJo in EP - Profitable (in loose/passive games) with solid postflop skill, unprofitable against tougher opponents (I've tossed these as too chancy).

Small PPs in EP - Playable only in exceptionally loose/passive games

----

At Party most of those hands were playable at .5/1, but I'm trimming out more and more at 1/2. At Stars I couldn't play most of those even when I went slumming with a buddy watching at .25/.5, the games were too tight to make them profitable (at least without reads). ('good' games being in the 35-40% to flop range seems to be a consistent feature from practically the bottom all the way up at least to 5/10 at Stars).

Other things that can contribute to a winning, but high, VP$IP at low levels that need to go either now or later are other positional cards. LP hands that require small or large numbers of opponents to be especially profitable (and get tossed otherwise), and more and more 'raise or fold' hands like KQo (AQ becomes one of those) trim down your $IP% a fair amount more.

When I started actively working on trimming down my numbers (after my first 1k hands at PT showed me with somewhere edging up toward 30% - VP$IP is one of the first to conform to your 'real' value; even if 1k was still way too small, it helped highlight a potential problem) I crept down toward 23 or so where I stopped until I started working on a lot of those issues I discussed, and now it's dropped to a bit below 19.5% at 1/2 with a bit more to drop, I think. I'm quite comfortable with it there for now, since I know what to do to tighten up when the games get tougher (and how to loosen up if 2/4 resembles .5/1 more than 1/2)