Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2004, 02:54 AM

Default Study: Bush Supporters Ignorant

http://www.pipa.org/OnlineReports/Pr...w_9_29_04.html

[ QUOTE ]
As the nation prepares to watch the presidential candidates debate foreign policy issues, a new PIPA-Knowledge Networks poll finds that Americans who plan to vote for President Bush have many incorrect assumptions about his foreign policy positions. Kerry supporters, on the other hand, are largely accurate in their assessments. The uncommitted also tend to misperceive Bush's positions, though to a smaller extent than Bush supporters, and to perceive Kerry's positions correctly. Steven Kull, director of PIPA, comments: "What is striking is that even after nearly four years President Bush's foreign policy positions are so widely misread, while Senator Kerry, who is relatively new to the public and reputed to be unclear about his positions, is read correctly."

Majorities of Bush supporters incorrectly assumed that Bush favors including labor and environmental standards in trade agreements (84%), and the US being part of the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty (69%), the International Criminal Court (66%), the treaty banning land mines (72%), and the Kyoto Treaty on global warming (51%). They were divided between those who knew that Bush favors building a new missile defense system now (44%) and those who incorrectly believe he wishes to do more research until its capabilities are proven (41%). However, majorities were correct that Bush favors increased defense spending (57%) and wants the US, not the UN, to take the stronger role in developing Iraq's new government (70%).

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-30-2004, 03:31 AM

Default Re: Study: Bush Supporters Ignorant

Seriously, what is the point of this post?
Old 09-30-2004, 03:33 AM

To share information.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, what is the point of this post?

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that Bush supporters are so misinformed on these issues, and the WMD and 9-11 facts, is significant because it makes me ask, "why are they misinformed". I think some of it is the sources of news, as the PIPA study showed. Fox viewers have been shown to be more ignorant on these issues, and no doubt conservative talk radio listeners are ignorant as well. I am shocked at how much these conservative commentators flat out lie. I think some of it has to do with a conscious effort by this adminstration to misinform citizens. Bush's statement that "we found them" re: WMD's. Cheney's insistance of a possible link between 9-11 hijackers and Iraq. These and similar lies are believed by Republicans.

Look at this study: http://www.pipa.org/OnlineReports/Ir..._03_Report.pdf

and comment please.
Old 10-02-2004, 02:06 PM

LOL!

Dynasty, You MUST be a BUSH supporter.

LMAO!

and NO I will not explain what my point is... LOL!

>TW<
Old 09-30-2004, 05:15 AM

You don;t think it's at all important that a large proportion of Bush supporters think his positions on a rnage of prominent issues are the exact opposite to what they really are?
Old 09-30-2004, 11:45 AM

maybe bush supporters prefer being ignorant..and would rather not know that they are ignorant...
Old 09-30-2004, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You don;t think it's at all important that a large proportion of Bush supporters think his positions on a rnage of prominent issues are the exact opposite to what they really are?

[/ QUOTE ]

Proof?

BTW the economist is good!
Old 10-01-2004, 04:54 AM

"Proof?"

I was referring to poll. We can debate its accuracy etc but it seems like an important issue.

"BTW the economist is good! "

Glad you like it!
Old 09-30-2004, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Majorities of Bush supporters incorrectly assumed that Bush favors including labor and environmental standards in trade agreements (84%), and the US being part of the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty (69%), the International Criminal Court (66%), the treaty banning land mines (72%), and the Kyoto Treaty on global warming (51%). They were divided between those who knew that Bush favors building a new missile defense system now (44%) and those who incorrectly believe he wishes to do more research until its capabilities are proven (41%). However, majorities were correct that Bush favors increased defense spending (57%) and wants the US, not the UN, to take the stronger role in developing Iraq's new government (70%).

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are staggering numbers. I am sickened and embarrassed as an American that our electorate is so woefully uninformed.