Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2004, 04:01 PM

Default Treading water online

Does anyone else find themselves unable to progress beyond a certain level when playing online? Not in terms of betting limits, but in terms of overall profit/bankroll?

I've been playing for around 12 months, at limits from $1-$2 to, more recently, $4-$8 and $5-10. I have noticed that I can consistently beat the games for $20 - $80 per hour, depending on the limit and type of game. However, everytime my bankroll hits the $1000 mark, it all goes wrong. A combination of bad luck, and bad players hitting miracle rivers hand after hand, sends me on a big loser for several hundred $$$. (The last few $ are probably down to tilt play after unbelievable beats.)

I'm not complaining about bad beats, but the strange pattern of consistently winning for a while, and then horrendous losing streak where I will miss 24 out of 25 flush draws, and dreamers playing J-2 against a pre-flop raise hitting their two pair or trips.

Does anyone else find their bankroll is 'held' at a certain level by the poker Gods, or is it just me?
Old 09-28-2004, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Treading water online

Simple solution: cash out half your roll every time you hit $900 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2004, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been playing for around 12 months, at limits from $1-$2 to, more recently, $4-$8 and $5-10. I have noticed that I can consistently beat the games for $20 - $80 per hour, depending on the limit and type of game.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a unsustainable win rate at low limits. You need to adjust your expecatations to realistic levels. Focus more on long term results not on rushes (good and bad). What's your win rate overall? Your problem with tilting after bad beats oblivously needs to be corrected.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have noticed that I can consistently beat the games for $20 - $80 per hour, depending on the limit and type of game.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Does anyone else find their bankroll is 'held' at a certain level by the poker Gods, or is it just me?

[/ QUOTE ]

These two statements contradict each other.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:28 PM

I'm the same, could anyone please stipulate what type of bankroll is required for lower limits like 1/2 and 2/4? I consistantly build my BR up to around 200, but I rush up through limits too quickly and lose alot.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:41 PM

The tilt problem is sorted - I've learned to recognise when it's affecting my game, and get out quick.
As for the contradicting statements - here's what I mean:

I'll play 5 hours a week, for two months. I'll come out ahead after 75% of the sessions, and make $300, for example. I'll take bad beats of course, and I'll have my share of luck too. Then - and it's always, always when I get to $950 - $1050 bankroll - I'll have a nightmare session, with bad beats like you wouldn't believe. Most recent example: AK suited on the button, raise preflop with 4 callers. Flop A-K-7. Bet, one caller. Turn is a 9, with no flush draw available. Check-raised by early position player, I call. River is another 7. I Figure I'm probably beat, but call the river to see his cards - he turns over 9-7 offsuit.

I'm not telling this for the 'bad-beatness' of it, but to illustrate what I mean: how can this sort of thing (ie: unplayable hand calling pre-flop raise, AND a bet on the flop, and hitting runner-runner) happen once in a blue moon for a two month period, but then happen for three or even four consecutive hands during the 'nightmare' period?

Admittedly, part of the reason for my post is to 'sound off' about it, but I wondered if anyone else experienced the same 'ceiling' effect on their bankroll? I've hit $1000 around five or six times now, each time I hit the killer session and end up back at $600.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:19 PM

It could be a mental thing. How you play when you are up 1,000. Maybe you take your hand too far when youre up so much. You said that you called on teh river just to see his cards. Is that a move you make regardless on how much you are up. These plays could take a chunk out of your bankroll over a long session. I find poker to be cyclical sometimes, next time you have one of these sessions, don't call when you think you're beat. See if you lose a little or lot less.
good luck,
Ryan
Old 09-28-2004, 05:29 PM

I believe it is a mental thing. I also have hit a wall several times when my account gets to about $1000 balance whether I'm at $50 NL or 2/4.

Taking money out of the site does seem to help, but only if I stop calculating my bankroll as including Neteller. I have been able to examine my game based on my current bankroll and I play much worse.

90% of this game is half mental. Maybe my problem is somewhere in there. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2004, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. It's just you.

Good luck.
Eric
Old 09-28-2004, 07:15 PM

You're under-bankrolled and just experiencing normal variance.

You really need 300 BB ($1200 for 2/4) to have any peace of mind.