Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2004, 01:55 AM

Default I was critcized for pushing with 97s

Party Poker SNG 3 handed level 6 (blinds 150/300). I have 1900 chips after posting SB. BB has 2300. I open raise allin with 97s. BB calls with KTo. I lose hand.

My opponents comment I had made a nice come back, but pushed too much, and this was a bad push.

Against two overcards, I lose about 200 chips. Against an overpair, I lose 1000. I might get called by an underpair or A6 or less, where I would have positive EV with close to even hands. I probably pick up the blinds for 450, so I think this is EV+.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:15 AM

Default Re: I was critcized for pushing with 97s

if your opponent is tight, you can push with 72o for +EV, if they call you every hand, it's -EV to push with 97s. If they call you with any two cards over ten along with any Ace high and pocket pair, I believe it's slight +_EV for chip count, about even for money. If they call you with any K, it's -EV.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:00 AM

1. Depending on game positions, this push is often a good play
2. Who cares if someone criticizes you?
3. His call was far more questionable than your push.

gl
Old 09-28-2004, 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Serious question: What's wrong with the call here? Betgo is in an obvious steal position at a point in the tourney where you HAVE to steal some blinds here and there just to stay alive. BB probably guessed (rightly, as it turns out) that Betgo was on a steal and that he had the best hand at the time. It seems to me that BB has a pretty good "hot and cold" hand, which is exactly what Betgo doesn't have. While I have no particular objection to the push, the call seems pretty clear to me.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:06 AM

I think the BB pretty much has to call, certainly if he knows my style, which is I don't need much to push here.

I wouldn't really call my play a steal. If I get called by any reasonable calling hand, I still wind up ahead on average. The blinds are big enough that both players need to play very loose.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Serious question: What's wrong with the call here? Betgo is in an obvious steal position at a point in the tourney where you HAVE to steal some blinds here and there just to stay alive. BB probably guessed (rightly, as it turns out) that Betgo was on a steal and that he had the best hand at the time. It seems to me that BB has a pretty good "hot and cold" hand, which is exactly what Betgo doesn't have. While I have no particular objection to the push, the call seems pretty clear to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

K 10 is not much. You are calling and risking a fairly healthy stack. the only happy person at the table is the player not involved.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

K 10 is not much. You are calling and risking a fairly healthy stack. the only happy person at the table is the player not involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, so what would be the minimum hand you would need to call a push from the SB when the blinds are large (~1/5 of your stack) and you're down to three players?
Old 09-28-2004, 11:10 AM

[quoteOkay, so what would be the minimum hand you would need to call a push from the SB when the blinds are large (~1/5 of your stack) and you're down to three players?

[/ QUOTE ]

- Depends on stack sizes of opponents
- Depends on opponents playing style

But when all my chips go in the middle, I'd really prefer to be betting and not calling.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding me?

1) betgo already said he's an aggressive player, so the BB knows there's a good shot that betgo isn't pushing with much.
2) This is three handed. Even the tightest range of hands to put betgo on, top 15%, has hands like A7 in it. But that's probably not the case. See 1).

Just because this is a $10 SnG, it doesn't mean that the "brillian read vs. idiotic calling station" automatically has to go to the "idiotic calling station" every time. Even if the BB puts betgo on the top 40% of hands, (which 97s is not a part of), it's still a correct call, with the dead money making the coinflip balance out.

top 40% (74 hands): all pairs, A, K, Q9-QJ, Q5s-Q8s, J8s-JTs, JTo, T9s

KTo( :1.0)

http://home.earthlink.net/~craighowa.../matchup2.html
Old 09-28-2004, 12:58 PM

[quote

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding me?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL,

No,

It clearly depends on game conditions but...

If you want to call your final 2300 (at least just about) with K10 every time 3 handed you are welcome at my table.

gl