Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2004, 11:02 PM

Default Am I a wimp who should of bet the river?

Only second lap around on the table and no real reads. Nobody seems like anything but your typical party players.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (12 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO folds, SB folds, UTG folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (11.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

River: (13.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB

Reasons to bet:

1. If he really had the queen he should of raised the turn. He can't necessarily expect me to bet the river to get his raise in.

2. Theres only more queen in the deck he is incredibly unlikely to have it.

3. There are no overcards to make a bigger Fullhouse. Not raising preflop pretty much rules out AA or KK.

I guess all the reasons to bet the river come down fo one word Value.

Reasons not to bet:

1) I'm a chickensh!t afraid of monsters under the bed.

I think in the process of typing out the question I realized the answer is to bet.Is my analysis pretty good here? any other comments on earlier streets? I figured I just need to bet and raise. My hand can only improve if I get running jacks for quads and I figure to make it expensive for anyone hanging around with an ace or king to draw out on me.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:05 PM

Default Re: Am I a wimp who should of bet the river?

VERY easy bet here.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:13 PM

When you bet the river...do you fold to a raise?
Old 09-27-2004, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just going to ask that. I don't think you could even consider folding this unless you knew for 100% certainty the villian never Bluffs. He is much more likey to have a medium pair and hoping your on AK.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no. I three bet.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:53 PM

smooth call the flop and raise the turn unless it's an ace or a king......It's weird that some players would call 2 bets but not 3 on that flop, but I think all of the aces are calling, so your 3-bet only folds hands that are drawing dead, and hands that are drawing to 3 outs.....Do you really want that???

You have great position on the checkraiser, so you won't miss any bets if he checks the turn.....Your hand isn't very vulnerable, so the focus should be on making the most money on this one.....