Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2004, 02:21 PM

Default 30/60 AK button open raise

Party Poker 30/60 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (3.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 5.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 5.25 BB, between Hero and BB.</font>
Old 09-27-2004, 02:23 PM

Default results

The BB had Q7o. At the time I was thinking this was a way ahead/way behind situation but this is actually a fairly draw heavy board. The BB could have 98 or QJ for an OESD. There is a chance they will bluff the river with these hands if they miss but they love a free card. Should I bet the turn and call down if CR'd?
Old 09-27-2004, 02:24 PM

Default Re: 30/60 AK button open raise

Were you afraid of a c/r on the turn?
Old 09-27-2004, 02:35 PM

Default Re: results

[ QUOTE ]
Should I bet the turn and call down if CR'd?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think so.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:35 PM

I think how you play these situations is pretty opponent/image dependant. I also think you have a fair amount of flexibility in most cases. I think the line you took is perfectly reasonable assuming that bb might play a 7 this way, and is unlikely to try goofball bluff/semi-bluff turn-checkraise-chip-spewing-moves.

Against some opponents in this game its possible to get 3 turn bets in because they will semi-bluff checkraise so often AND its very unlikley that they would play a 7 this way (check-call, check) as they would usually checkraise the flop in an attempt to induce excessive action (or possibly stop-and-go sometimes).

Assuming this wasn't the case with bb this hand, then I think you played it well.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:10 PM

The BB blew this hand big time...he could lead out and call a raise, or checkraise, and not give much information away. Check-call = least money, most information leak. Great instincts on your part, unless you know the player is out of his league limit-wise and would play 89 or a pp that passively on this board.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:33 PM

This play is straight out of HFAP and is perfectly reasonable facing a tough 30/60 opponent.

Good luck.
Eric
Old 09-27-2004, 03:44 PM

I thought this was a simple solution to what could be a complex problem that I wouldn't have had the correct tools to solve (opponent info).
Old 09-27-2004, 04:31 PM

I think the example from HPFAP was maybe on a rainbow paired board with less straight potential?
Old 09-27-2004, 04:37 PM

I think the example from HPFAP was maybe on a rainbow paired board with less straight potential?

That doesn't really matter here. He check-called a ragged flop. Its very unlikely he has an OESD unless he intended to semi-bluff checkraise the turn (obviously only if you bet) or just see the river for 30 bucks and check/fold unimproved.

Only an idiot would plan on check-calling twice with an OESD in this game with that board.