Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2004, 12:16 PM

Default Question for those with <19.5 VP$IP

I've had a heck of a time calculating which hands you're throwing away that I don't. Can folks with low VP$IP post what they do with their small pairs and unsuited connectors? Also, anybody who has tightened up to this range from a looser style, if you could post what changes you made it would be appreciated.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:31 PM

Default Re: Question for those with <19.5 VP$IP

my VP$IP is at 16.38 although my sample is small with only 6500 hands. I really don't like playing offsuited connectors like QJ and JT and when I do it is almost always in late position.

Small pocket pairs i generally fold if i'm the first one in and I don't expect 4-5 callers behind me. I preferably want 1-2 callers before me if im sitting mid to late position before i decide to limp in with them.
The same goes with small suited connectors down to 45s, I want at least 2 callers before me to enter the pot with those.
ATo and KJo I really dont like either and tend to muck them in early position if the table is a bit aggressive. I like to play them from late position though.

But these calling standards may vary quite a lot if i'm sitting at a good table then small pockets and small suited aces becomes playable UTG.

I would like to hear if someone with quite a lot of hands can tell me if it is worth it to play JTo in late position because as it is now I almost alway fold it.

I have only been playing since may though and recently made the jump to 2/4 which probably tightened me up a bit since i'm not quite used to the 100$ swings that seem to occur every session [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2004, 12:44 PM

I'm guessing you play too many unsuited broadways in early position, i.e. KJ, QJ, K10... that kind of crap needs to be thrown away in the first few positions.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:46 PM

Have you read SSH? Just stick to Miller's guidelines. (I usually use the "Tight" starting hands, if I remember correctly).

I don't have my stats here, but I think my VP$IP is around 17% (at mainly $2/$4).

FIRST AND FOREMOST, don't cold-call 2 bets preflop, except AQs, AJs, and KQs. Otherwise, you're folding or re-raising. (I also cold-call sometimes with with pocket pairs if there are already a lot of callers, with not much chance of a reraise).

TIGHTEN UP IN FRONT, early position, I stopped playing hands like KJo, QJo, K10o, Q10o .... I also fold pocket 6's or less.

But again, this is all right out of SSH.

Hope this helps...

Adam
Old 09-27-2004, 12:57 PM

I was under the impression that around 20% of poker hands were playable from any position, and at the lower limits where people are looser, you could play a little more. Am I wrong on this fact...if not, isn't having a VP$IP &lt; 20 more detrimental than helpful, since you may be throwing away winning hands too much?
Old 09-27-2004, 01:14 PM

no
Old 09-27-2004, 01:17 PM

Actually, I fold all of those in early position. KT I'll play in the blinds only, KJ &amp; QJ late position.
Old 09-27-2004, 01:19 PM

there is a point at which tightening up is detrimental, right? Anyone know where that point is?
Old 09-27-2004, 01:19 PM

If your VP$IP is under 20, you are folding some hands in some circumstances that could be profitable with solid post flop play. You are also reducing your variance, which is the primary benefit.
Old 09-27-2004, 01:23 PM

I've read it and used the standards. While I haven't performed the calcuations, I would expect using a mix of tight and loose depending on current game texture, would yield a VP$IP of around 23%, certainly over 20%.

Using the tight standards regardless of the actual number of callers would probably yield a sub 20% VP$IP, but I haven't tried that because most tables I'm playing have 4+ players to a flop fairly often.