Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2004, 11:57 AM

Default Easy lay down?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (10 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP3 ($67.92)
CO ($50.41)
Button ($34.41)
SB ($21.75)
BB ($37.45)
UTG ($24.25)
UTG+1 ($14.50)
UTG+2 ($23.75)
Hero ($37.45)
MP2 ($27.59)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, Hero calls $0.50, MP2 calls $0.50, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises to $1</font>, CO folds, Button calls $1, SB calls $0.75, BB calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, MP2 calls $0.50.

Flop: ($6) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets $4</font>, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">SB raises to $8</font>, BB folds, Hero ???

That min-raise from SB might have been due to some weakness shown my MP3. I was thinking this is a fold, or an all-in, probably a fold. If I am beat I only have 6 clean outs to win.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Easy lay down?

I've been in this exact same position (except it was tens down with a 789 on the board). With a bet and a raise, it's a really tough call to make, though you have an overpair, OESD, and backdoor flush/SF draw (which you can pretty much discount, as not only are they runner runner, but the SF is really unlikely, and your flush card would be the five).

It really comes down to what you can put the other players on, here. If I can definately put them on flush draws (because it's gonna be hard to put them on a weaker pair if they're solid), then I make the call and fold if the spade shows and more bets face me.

However with the bet and the raise, you've got to figure ONE of them's holding better than you. The low board here definitely sucks because deuces, threes, and fours are all cards people of even the worst skill will more often throw away. After all this rambling, I'm going to say fold unless you can beyond almost all doubt put them both on draws or pairs lower than yours. As much fun as it would be to catch and crush them, it just can't be +EV.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Easy lay down?

In most mutli-way pots here, you are either barley ahead, or way behind. The OESD makes u not that far behind, but i would basically just play for that. I would most likely fold w/o the implied odds.