Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2004, 12:07 PM

Default Do I have any business staying in this hand?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG+1 ($24.25)
<font color="C00000">MP1 ($24)</font>
<font color="C00000">MP2 ($17)</font>
<font color="C00000">MP3 ($80.70)</font>
CO ($25.55)
Button ($48.70)
SB ($65.80)
<font color="C00000">Hero ($30.50)</font>
UTG ($49.70)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls $0.50, MP2 calls $0.50, MP3 calls $0.50, CO calls $0.50, Button folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($3) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets $2</font>, MP3 calls $2, CO calls $2, SB folds, Hero calls $2, MP1 calls $2.

Turn: ($13) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets $4</font>, MP3 calls $4, CO calls $4, Hero calls $4, MP1 calls $4.

River: ($33) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets $5</font>, MP2 calls $5, MP3 calls $5, CO folds, Hero calls $5.

Final Pot: $53
<font color="green">Main Pot: $53, between MP1, MP2, MP3 and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Split: MP1 ($26.50), Hero ($26.50).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero has 5s 8s (straight, five high).
MP1 has Qc 5c (straight, five high).
MP2 has Td As (one pair, aces).
MP3 has 2d Ah (two pair, aces and twos).
Outcome: MP1 wins $26.50. Hero wins $26.50. </font>

So I chased my flush draw (I didn't even notice my straight outs) and caught a straight on the river. Do I have enough overlay with the pot odds for the times when I catch my flush and get beat by a higher flush?
Old 09-25-2004, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Do I have any business staying in this hand?

Yes. I probably would have bet the river, hoping that they wouldn't get scared away.
Old 09-25-2004, 12:30 PM

you really didn't have odds to call the flop but that call is not horrible.

The turn call is very very bad. with so many callers you don't think there are others on the flush draw?

Besides with 1 card to go, assuming no other flush draws, you had 13 outs. Not enough odds to call the $4 bet.
Old 09-25-2004, 12:33 PM

i think you played it fine. you had a flush draw and a gutshot straight. i would chase it and another important factor is you have mp3 in the pot who has a nice size stack to take if you hit. the one thing i would do is make a pot sized raise on the flop. you have a good draw and the reason i do this is because if you come alive when the flush card hits you might not get anyone to play with but betting out MIGHT make someone think your bluffing and will call you with an ace or two pair
Old 09-25-2004, 12:52 PM

I think you're fine sticking around here.
It looks like MP1 has a 5. Would you consider raising with the other two caught in between? Would they likely fold to your raise and how likely is it that MP1 has 56?
Old 09-25-2004, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you really didn't have odds to call the flop but that call is not horrible.

The turn call is very very bad. with so many callers you don't think there are others on the flush draw?

Besides with 1 card to go, assuming no other flush draws, you had 13 outs. Not enough odds to call the $4 bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true. He had the pot odds to call the $4 bet (pot at 25) if all his outs are clean. The problem is, it is very likely that he is drawing to 4 outs and he will definitely lose some money if he hits a 2nd best hand.

Fold on the flop, failing that fold on the turn, failing that, raise the river.
Old 09-25-2004, 03:43 PM

Sticking around isn't necessarily bad here, but it's not extremely +EV either. You have to remember that at least a couple other players in the hand seem to be interested in drawing, so there's a good chance that your flush outs may not be clean, and in addition to that, when you do hit, your flush isn't very strong if another flush draw is out. The big question from me though is why not just push in on the river? You're the last person to act into a pot that's pretty big and given that pot size, an all-in raise shouldn't scare anybody away. Yes, you did end up splitting the pot, but you could have drawn more out of the other two players. Given that nobody raised the river, you should have absolutely no fear of 65 and assume that you have the best hand.
Old 09-25-2004, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if all 13 outs are good, he surely has the odds for a $4 bet.
Old 09-25-2004, 05:00 PM

I would prolly raise river, otherwise it was fine (like min raise so an ace will stay around).
Old 09-26-2004, 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold on the flop, failing that fold on the turn, failing that, raise the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd second this.