Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2004, 09:20 PM

Default a hand vs jimmyv

I open JJ mp1 and JimmyV is to my immeidate left and 3 bets. bb calls. The last time I opened he 3 bet and I check/folded. Not that it probably has antying to do with anything.

Flop comes J54 all clubs.
bb checks.

What's your standard opperating procedure and WHY?

EDIT - bb's note is:
{{VPIP: 28, PFR: 17, AGG: 1.5
Hands: 610, RiverF: 26, CR: 3.66
WSD: 38, W$SD: 51
ASB: 43, CCPF: 0
WF-F: 9, WF-T: 3, W$SD-BR: 74}}
Old 09-24-2004, 09:43 PM

Default Re: a hand vs jimmyv

Check raise/cap the flop, most likely you are still ahead. IF another club comes, check/call the turn, unless you think a raise can get you a free showdown, which it most likely wont. River should play itself.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:14 PM

Bet, expect a raise, then three-bet. The worst thing you can do is let him bet, BB call, you raise, and they both call. Obviously you want the BB with a bad flush draw out when facing two bets, and the times when he has the ace or king, he'll have to pay the max when you three-bet. I'd also be more than willing to go multiple bets on the turn if a non-club falls.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:38 PM

" open JJ mp1 and JimmyV is to my immeidate left and 3 bets. bb calls."

4-bets, 4-bets, 4-bets.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:20 PM

The PREVIOUS hand, when bkick folded the flop after I three-bet him preflop, I had held AhKh and the flop was Kd 8h 6h or some such. I think if only the K had been black maybe he'da played back at me on that flop....

JimmyV
Old 09-24-2004, 11:47 PM

Yeah the previous hand I'd opened black ATo from mp2 and you 3 bet me from the CO. The flop came 89K with 2 hearts and I check/folded.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
" open JJ mp1 and JimmyV is to my immeidate left and 3 bets. bb calls."

4-bets, 4-bets, 4-bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I'm not quite thinking at the next level yet...Care to disect why I should be 4 betting him here? Does it change if it's HU?
Old 09-25-2004, 12:02 AM

You opened in middle position and got 3-bet. You have two jacks. There's a clown in the BB along for the ride. You have two jacks. You are worried about the perception that you are weak when isolated. You have two jacks. All of these are reasons to 4-bet.

As an aside, if you are seriously only 4-betting after getting 3-bet with QQ, KK and AA, you are playing way way too predictably and conservatively, especially in situations where your open raise is in middle position. Good players will notice this and torture you.
Old 09-25-2004, 02:15 AM

I'll cap AKo, AKs and other hands as weak as 77 or KQ if the situation is right (like on a steal), but my oppening in middle and getting 3 bet by a good player also in middle isn't what I call a good situation to start capping with less than the best hands.

I guess also him 3 betting me twice is not exactly him isolating the crap outa me.

I dunno, you got me thinking, and that's good. I really want to get to that next level of thinking the better players have.

I'm gonna sleep on it and see what I think tomorrow.
Old 09-25-2004, 04:52 AM

if you don't cap it with JJ here heads up and your opponent has something like 88 and position if the flop comes all big like KQx he's going to take shots at you since calling 3 bets is most likely TT, JJ, AQ.

Now if you cap it and bet the flop when 2 overs come he isn't going to be so liberal and if he comes back at you, well he's got the goods and you can be done with it. Not to mention it is mostly likely the best hand preflop here.

Now take this thought with a grain of salt as according to PT I'm in the red the last week with JJ