Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2004, 11:53 AM

Default Not 1, but 3 crying river calls

It's kinda sick that I'm actually proud of myself for not folding a winner here. Could it be I'm finally starting to get the hang of online?

1 MP limper and I raise from the cutoff with 88. The button cold calls and the bb makes it 3 bets. We all call. 4-way.

The flop comes T98r. bb bets, mp folds, i raise, button cold-calls, bb 3 bets, i cap, button cold-calls, bb calls.

The turn is a T. bb checks, i bet, button raises, bb calls two-cold, i re-raise, button caps, bb calls two cold, i call.

the river is a Q putting up a backdoor flush (irrelevant). bb bets and i make my first crying call. it's a crying call because at this point i'm worried the button could have TT,99,T9, or T8. sure enough the button raises and the bb 3 bets. i make my 2nd crying call for TWO COLD!! the button caps it, the bb calls and i make my final crying call.

the button had ATo for 3 tens. the bb JJ for a straight.

i suppose i could see how a reckless player might think a straight is good, even though there's a flush out, the board is paired and it went 4 bets on the flop AND turn. But how on earth can anyone think 3 tens have a chance with a flush out, a 4 card straight on board, and 3 people going 4 bets on the flop, another 4 on the turn, with STILL more raising the river?

While I'm happy to take the 36 big bets that were in this pot, this hand depresses me more when I think about why I'm only beating these games for less than .5bb's/100 hands.

Anyway, I can thank this forum for winning this hand. I actually considered folding but then I thought, "Do I really want to post this fold on 2+2?". That's when I decided to call ALL bets on the river! Thanks guys..
Old 09-24-2004, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Not 1, but 3 crying river calls

[ QUOTE ]
the river is a Q putting up a backdoor flush (irrelevant). bb bets and i make my first crying call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dear God.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dear God.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that dear God as in, please don't let the guy behind me who cold called a pre-flop raise, smooth called 2 cold twice on the flop, and then capped the turn, be a thinking player with 99,T9, or T8? Or is it,

Dear God, please don't let either of these guys have a brain between them so that I might be silly for thinking I'm beat here?
Old 09-24-2004, 01:02 PM

Yup. OnLine, Folding full houses is out of the question.

What IS in question is why you are trying to presume YOUR view of "reasonable", no matter how beneficial, is the same as your online opponent's view of "reasonable", no matter how detrimental. Many folks don't see the nuances of how their hand relates to the other hands. One player had a straight and the other trips and both are raising hands on the river.

And no, if you had lost you wouldn't have posted! (and rightfully so)

- Louie
Old 09-24-2004, 02:47 PM

did raising the river cross your mind at all?
Old 09-24-2004, 04:25 PM

You should be capping this river. Folding??? Please tell me that was a joke. a very few amount of reasonable hands have you beat.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:36 PM

I would have put in at least one more raise on the river. It's not a crying call unless it came back to me capped.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:37 PM

I think it's "Dear God I hope you weren't really crying about the call".
Old 09-24-2004, 08:54 PM

No doubt you're right. It keeps getting back to the same problem for me. I'm not sure why I can't get it through my head. I GAURANTEE if you raise the bb and I'm the button, you lost. And... You're just gonna lose more money. So from that standpoint, it SHOULD be very much a crying call for you. But I WASN'T the button and I can't stop thinking that people think and/or play like me. I'm like the red-headed step child who never learns.