Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2004, 10:11 AM

Default Smart, aggressive play? Or chip spewing?

Is the flop 3-bet advisable? I wanted to isolate the raiser (which failed), and I would check-call the later streets if i was capped. I just didn't think that one flop raise should automatically lead me to think that somebody has trips.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Button calls.

Turn: (12.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Button calls.

River: (16.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Button folds.

Final Pot: 19.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 19.25 BB, between MP1, MP2 and Hero.</font>
Old 09-24-2004, 10:16 AM

Default Re: Smart, aggressive play? Or chip spewing?

I think you played it well. With this board, button could easily have been raising for a free card rather than having a 9. When he doesn't cap or raise the turn, sure smells like a flush draw to me.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:31 AM

Looks good to me. Villian is likely to raise any A and a flsuh draw here as well as a 9 so the 3 bet helps you get a better understanding of where you are at.

It is possible he just has a 9 with a weak kicker and backed off, but it seems more likely it's an A or a flush draw and unless he has AQ you should be good as he would have likely 3 bet AK preflop.

The river fold by the button certainly suggests he was on a flush draw and I am going of your other two opponents one had an A with a worse kicker (hopefully not one that made two pair) and the other had an under pair.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:34 AM

Very nice read. Exactly right.

Final Pot: 19.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 19.25 BB, between MP1, MP2 and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (19.25 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero has Ad Jd (two pair, aces and nines).
MP1 has Qh Qd (two pair, queens and nines).
MP2 has Ah 8h (two pair, aces and nines).
Outcome: Hero wins 19.25 BB. </font>

And what an underpair.