Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2004, 05:05 AM

Default Are online poker rooms rigged???

Yeah im sure everyone has heard this before.

But after the things ive experienced I must wonder. For starters im not a high roller. Ive only deposited 50 bucks at a time to any given site. I started playing freeroll tournaments at pokerstars, and my very first tournament I ended up placing like 13th out of 6000+. In real life im a decent brick and mortar player, so after a few more decent placings at freerolls, I decided to try pokerstars.
My first deposit takes me a long way, hitting sets left and right, and making a couple of really good calls I ended up placing in the money in a few low buy in tournaments. Turning my bankroll from 50 to 200 bucks made me proud. So eventually i tilted it all away.....
I guess thats normal, but every deposit after that had the same god damn outcome. I would do good in tournaments and SNGs early in the week, and then around payday I would start hitting HORRIBLE, and I mean frigging HORRIBLE bad beats. Flopping sucker sets, flopping flushes only to be outsted by some douches A. Its almost as tho the site knows i get paid on thursdays and turns my luck down around this time.
I even referred a couple of my buddies to pokerstars, and they had the exact same results. Really good start with their first deposit, placing awesome in their first tournament and then sinking lower then dirt due to bad bad bad beats. Now by all means I am not a bad poker player, I almost always have a good reason on people and rarely put my chips in as a dog. But this is absurd.
I think these sites are built for the rich, the people who will pump thousands of dollars into the site are the ones who get lucky. Example : Teecoy been a tournament leader board leader for weeks, but after watching him play so much ive realized that he BLOWS money like its free. and eventually gets lucky as hell in tournaments. Ive seen the guy muscle a SB around, push all in, only to see hes got 22 and the SB got 55. Baam a 2 on the river. Are these sites really catering to the rich? Or am I off my rocker....

I know my game is strong, and even tho I play low limit, I cant understand why I cant stay even anymore. Yet all the rich yuppies with no care about money are profiting from people like me. It is absurd that poker is being shoved down our throats everywhere we go nowadays. Even network television has commercials for PP now. Im starting to think this is the nations way of paying for 9/11 damage. Cause there was not this much poker glammer in 2001.
Well heres a list of my current bad beats this week, I deposited 50 on monday and Im already 0 on friday.

Was chip leader in a sit and go, 5 people left. Got rivered 3 times in a row heads up on the flop. With only 20xBB I get dealt AA. I raised 5x BB and get one caller. Soon as the flop hit 8 6 2 the guy goes all in. I immediately put him on KK, and call. Hes got a 86o giving him two pair. Now how the hell did this guy call half his stack with this? I lost the showdown and ended up going from chip leader one person away from money, to being out of the tournament and down 20 bucks. So i took a break for a day. Horrible horrible horrible... Not to mention I never see this guys name online anymore. wonder why

Another bad beat came day before payday, this is by far the worst. I get dealt JJ, and i agressively play it in a $3 tournament. not to mention that I am 12 people from the money. One person calls and I flop a set. I slow play the hand thinking im gonna trap him, but after pushing him all in on the turn, he calls me. Only to show me that he flopped a gutshot str8 draw. Well you can only guess what the river was. OH YEAH and the guy called me with 24s.
Look im not whining here, Im here to find answers, and perhaps alil advice. Ive always played smart poker and I always know when to walk away and allow my emotions to reset. But i cant seem to win any tournament hands when im a 4 to 1 favorite on the flop. After calling AJ with AK and losing, getting rivered with gutshots that costed people their entire stack, and watching the rich and the lonely succeed at online, Ive decided to say [censored] poker. And screw these money hungry poker sites that will eventually become illegal in the states when a democrat hits office. I apologize if ive offended anyone, I am just really emotional over the recent poker sessions and kinda looking for re assurance. Maybe its impossible to make $$$ off low limit? or is it impossible to win $$$ online period????

Low limit to me = $5 SnGs $3 large tournaments .10/.25 ring games.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:37 AM

Default Re: Are online poker rooms rigged???

I have to say that they are...

I had my whole bankroll at a NL table...

Get dealt KK, raise, get reraised, make a smooth call.

Flop comes AKK ... Opponent goes all in. I call...

Opponent then proceeds to hit his 1 out and make quad aces.

Hero is now broke and disgruntled...
Old 09-24-2004, 05:49 AM

My first deposit takes me a long way, hitting sets left and right, and making a couple of really good calls I ended up placing in the money in a few low buy in tournaments. Turning my bankroll from 50 to 200 bucks made me proud. So eventually i tilted it all away

So you got lucky, continued playing badly and lost. That's poker.

I am not a bad poker player

No offense, but if you can't beat .10/.25 you certainly *are* a bad player. The following proves it -

I almost always have a good reason on people and rarely put my chips in as a dog.

a) how can you be sure and b) many of the most profitable situations arise by playing aggressively when you are a dog.

Seriously, and no rancor intended, the first step towards getting better at this game is to come to the basic understanding that you really have no clue how to play properly. That's not singling you out, that's how everybody starts. Poker is deceptively simple looking, but in reality, it is a very, very hard game to play well.

Post some hands here. Join the discussions. Learn. But get the silly notion that the online sites are rigged out of your head. It just isn't so.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:51 AM

Blah Blah Blah.

Next topic please.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:59 AM

No.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:10 AM

gg
Old 09-24-2004, 11:35 AM

No they're not rigged.
Stop playing around payday....
Old 09-24-2004, 04:14 PM

YES IT'S RIGGED OMG I AM GOING TO KILL PP PSTARS AND ALL THE REST

p.s. Kurn has good points. The first step to improving is acknowledging you know little to nothing about the task at hand. We were once there too, just relax.

Oh, and don't deposit just $50, it's a road to ruin.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:42 PM

Very funny post. Amazed that the rest of you all fell for it.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:49 PM

How is it that everyone thinks that their own brand of ignorance is new and unique?

I know you've all heard dumbass stories about how online poker is rigged... and yeah those people are tards. But I BET YOU NEVER HEARD THIS! I lost with -Aces-. That's right. Aces. Not lowly kings, mind you. Aces. I got them, and they lost.

And the guy that beat them, well, I don't see him online anymore. I wonder why... hrmmm. Nudge nudge. We all know what that means. I have uncovered something that proves that it's not only rigged, but that people create new accounts just to take advantage of this sort of thing, close them out after stealing my $3, and then make new ones.

~D