Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2004, 02:35 AM

Default Vegas regulars - plan my first day!

First time in Vegas. Been playing online daily for about 1.5 years, but I have 0 live action experience. I'm going to Vegas tomorrow for a convention and stretching it out to a week. I'm staying at Caesar's.

I'm looking for a smaller stakes easy game to break in. I play mostly NLH, but I will play limit, omaha, stud, etc. Where should I start, how much bankroll should I bring? If some kind soul wants to give me suggestions for my first day, I would apperciate it.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:38 AM

Default Re: Vegas regulars - plan my first day!

Jump over to the excalibur and play in their NL game. its a tiny $100 buyin, 1$ and 2$ blinds, friendly tables. $500 - $1000 should be plenty to do well in this game. If more money is available to you the $500 buyin game at the palms is reasonable as well.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:23 PM

For low limit action, bring a couple hundred bucks bankroll ($300 to $400).

For NLH with a low buy-in try the Luxor. $50 minimum.

Also, the Excalibur has NLH with a $250 minimum buy-in.

You will also find soft competition at the Excalibur in their spread limit cash games.

You can't leave Vegas without at least one session at the Bellagio and/or Mirage. Both have NLH games, but the buy-ins are $200 minimum. they also offer low limit, 4/8 and 3/6 respectively.

Good luck. If you need some more info about vegas card rooms, check out my site: www.allvegaspoker.com
Old 09-23-2004, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, the Excalibur has NLH with a $250 minimum buy-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my above post I made a typo. Excalibur NLH minimum buy-in is only $100, NOT $250. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:06 PM

The Mirage did not have a no limit game when I was there in April. Is it a regular game? I found their 3/6 and 4/8 games to be pretty soft.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:32 PM

The Mirage No Limit cash game is relatively new. They started it over the summer and they seem to always be offering it now.

A lot of Vegas card rooms are jumping on the No Limit bandwagon. Last year there was only the Bellagio. Now, you can play NLH at half a dozen poker rooms (at least).
Old 09-25-2004, 06:51 AM

Thanks a lot for the great advice, especially your poker room reports, AllVegas. Your web site is very useful.

Excalibur was fun, but the NLH game was pretty tough when I first got there. There were three or four locals who were solid players and my cards were terrible. After a couple of hours, the good players were replaced by some crappy tourists, which coincided with a great rush of cards for me and I left after four hours up about $141.

The most difficult transition I had from playing online is that you are seeing much less hands per hour and I also had more difficulty calculating pot odds because I wasn't always able to quickly figure out how much was in the pot. I'm sure that is something I will get used to over time.

Thanks again for the advice though guys! I will probably head back to excaliber again tomorrow and if I do well, I will probably branch out and try some of the other poker rooms.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:47 AM

Just a few corrections. Bellagio is 200 min/max buyin 2/5 blinds. Palms is 2/5 blinds with 500 max buyin (smoking room) Mirage is 2/4 blinds 9 handed with 300 max buyin. Excalibur is 100 min/max buyin with 1/2 blinds. Binions is 1/2 blinds no max buyin, as is the nugget. Binions was also the first to offer no limit holdem cash games in town, which started last year around April. Bellagio was one of the last of the big cardrooms to offer them.