Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2004, 07:49 PM

Default question about AKo midway through

its midway through a 22 dollar tourny on party. im big stack at table with around 5000. blinds are 50-100. next largest is around 3000.
I receive AKo in utg+1 and raise to about 600. folded around to next largest stack, who reraises 1000. what do i do here? call the raise and hope i hit, but then if i don't muck, or fold, or reraise all in. thanks for any help.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:51 PM

Default Re: question about AKo midway through

Are you playing to nickel and dime or win?
Old 09-22-2004, 07:54 PM

well, i think at this point more to nickel and dime, which is why i folded, i guess if thats the main consideration here then its correct to fold. but if you are going to fold AK often i don't think you would make it that far either?
Old 09-22-2004, 10:03 PM

I would re-raise all-in pre flop. Obviously, if he has aces or kings you are in big trouble, but the chances of that are pretty small since you already hold one of each. Plus you get to put him on a decision for all of his chips and you ensure that your bigslick will see all five cards and have a chance to catch. Even if you lose, your stack size in relation to the blinds is decent enough to recover.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:48 AM

i certainly wouldnt reraise allin here... while there's a chance you have your opponent dominated w/ a,q or something, he most probably has a pocket pair, giving you a coin flip at best. why risk half ur stack on a coinflip when you're not even in the money yet? call and see the flop. if it helps, play accordingly. if not, fold.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:08 AM

if you're gonna lay down to a re-raise why not only raise it up to $400? raising to $600 is only going to cost you $200 more if you fold, and it won't do anything else.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:10 AM

in fact, raising 6x BB may be seen as an overbet and your opponent could sense weakness because of it. if you keep it to a standard 3x or 4x raise he won't know what to do.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you're gonna lay down to a re-raise why not only raise it up to $400? raising to $600 is only going to cost you $200 more if you fold, and it won't do anything else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm a snob, but I hate minimum raises.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm a snob, but I hate minimum raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
blinds are 50-100.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the poster who said that 3xBB is a better raising amount here.

Brett
Old 09-23-2004, 12:21 PM

I agree that the initial raise was a little high, but whether it was 3x or 6x, the best option is to push the reraise (albeit for different reasons).

With a 6x raise and a T1000 reraise, there would not be much folding equity on a push. The reraiser would surely call. But by this time, there's enoough money in the pot more than justify a coin flip. Assuming the reraiser calls your push, you're adding T2400 to win 50+100+600+3000=T3750.

If your original raise is 3x, the reraise is most likely smaller also -- say about 600 more. Now, your pot odds don't look quite so good but you have much better folding equity, which is where AK really shines.

Either way, you are the big stack with a hand that is only dominated by 2/221 other hands. All in baby.