Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2004, 04:42 PM

Default Open letter to new posters

You have the finest forum to discuss poker right here at 2+2. Ask almost any poker related question and you will get a number of answers, some good, a few great (and maybe a dud here or there) and you can learn for free.

1) Please use the search function before posting. There are over 17,000 people signed to this site, and any item you have a question about has probably been discussed.

2) When you ask questions, you are asking for responses. Please don't berate the people you disagree with. Aside from the fact that it is not nice, some of them may actually be better informed than you.

3) Please God, please don't make you first post a "bad beat" story. Nobody cares. It is part of poker. Accept and move on to higher limits, or whine and cry and stress yourself out - but please don't do it here.

4) Thank your hosts and the respondents.

5) Enjoy yourself. Poker is great. 2+2 is too.

Y'all have a nice week.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2004, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Open letter to new posters

Thanks for the words of wisdom.

And thanks to all the posters and hosts of 2+2.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:14 PM

Yeah, but part of learning must be posting the bad beat, being told you played bad/good but got unlucky. I still learn stuff from bad beats.

The temptation to post bad beats is great.

Briefly, then ( [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ), had 86s in SB. Completed to some limpers.

Flop 863 fantastic. Check+raise,bet,raise flop and turn.
Turn was A (better yet! someone may hit) - down to HU after raising, plenty of action.

River was A. Lost 2 pair to some loose caller with K8 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Phew. got that off my chest [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2004, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

3) Please God, please don't make you first post a "bad beat" story. Nobody cares.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, a lot of people do care. But because of lack of space here, the Bad Beat Forum has been moved to www.recpoker.com
Old 09-22-2004, 10:24 PM

I nominate this for "sticky".

Dont' forget
3.a Please, refrain from "online poker is rigged" or "aliens ate my cousin" type posts. If you believe there is a conspiracy out to get you, you might not get a lot of sympathy here.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:28 AM

Another great post. One every five hours it seems.

Cheers [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2004, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) Please use the search function before posting. There are over 17,000 people signed to this site, and any item you have a question about has probably been discussed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've tried... and tried and tried. If you've been here for years, and are trying to hunt up an old post you remember, or if you know whose opinions you respect and whose you don't, it is easy to say 'search for it'.

I've written a poker glossary for another site. I know for a fact that there are more than 1000 terms, straight and slang, that are specific to poker. In regular working terms though there are far fewer. Try finding information on limping under the gun with X or how to play Y in late position. You can't narrow the field enough. Better than half the things you are likely to search for come up in better than half the threads.

If I ever figure it out I'll do it myself, but has anyone written a FAQ on the search function? Personally I've skipped it lately and instead bookmarked the threads that talk about people's favorite threads. I find so much more looking at the perennial favorites than I've ever found in the search. It isn't subject specific but at least it is a start...
Old 09-23-2004, 01:04 PM

Yeah, me too.

Last night, I had AK v AQd all-in, and the flop came d-d-d.

The bastards.

Hey, dog, if everybody just searches, instead of posts, wouldn't this be an archive, not a forum?
Old 09-23-2004, 01:27 PM

if all the ? have been taken care of --- and not asked again ---No more post would be made-----
Sometimes it is good to bring a hand and see if new ideas have surfaced
Old 09-23-2004, 02:21 PM

Posting hands is one of the greatest features of 2+2. I dont think dog is trying to stop that. But....as someone who has only been around for a few months, i have already seen several questions continuously repeated, and have made a few repetitions myself. These arent interesting or thought provoking questions, often just simple "what does X mean...." or "why should i raise..." Not that this is bad, but im sure most of the posters who have answered these questions eight thousand times are tired of seeing them.

and there is absolutely no point to posting bad beat stories. No one cares, no one will feel like comiserating with you, and you are likely to raise the ire of the Bad Beat Police.

peace

john nickle