Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2004, 06:54 PM

Default folded AK to a flop check raise

.50/1 UB NLHE I have about $190 before the hand and am in LP. Villain 1 (BB) has about 90, Villain 2 (CO) had like 18 or so.

I get dealt AKo in LP. its folded to me, I raise pot to 3.50. Villain 2 calls in the CO, folds to BB who calls (pot is 11 total). Flop is A58 rainbow. Villain 1 checks, I bet pot for 11, Villain 2 allins for about 4 bucks on top (which isn't too big of a deal). Villain 1 then check raises for the full pot, which is like 53 more, and leaves him with only 25 more. Whats the right move? To me the possible hands are only A8, A5, 55, 88, AK, or a worse ace. it seems a little fishy, but I fold anyways, given that villian 1 is obviously committed to the hand (rest would presumably go in on the turn) so its the 53+25 = 78 to play the hand, and I have only invested 14.50 on the hand so far, and many of his likely holdings beat me. Thoughts? Results to follow.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:36 PM

Default Re: folded AK to a flop check raise

The problem with laying this down is that Villain 1 could be doing this with a pretty wide range of hands hoping to isolate the all in villian 2. It matters how good a player I see Villian 1. If I think he's capable of this play I go allin over the top, if he's pretty straight forward and this CR means he has at least 2 pair I would fold.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:15 PM

Default Re: folded AK to a flop check raise

[ QUOTE ]
The problem with laying this down is that Villain 1 could be doing this with a pretty wide range of hands hoping to isolate the all in villian 2. It matters how good a player I see Villian 1. If I think he's capable of this play I go allin over the top, if he's pretty straight forward and this CR means he has at least 2 pair I would fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the first thing I thought when I read this hand. That's a move I make pretty routinely (more often in tournaments than in cash games but still) with a weaker ace than AK.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:41 PM

Default Re: Results

I agree that in a tournament this is likely a worse ace, but in cash games most people check call with weak aces, not checkraise pot bets when the money is (fairly) deep. I've seen two pair on bottom set make this c/r much more often than Ax(it was for the full pot mind you, this wasn't a minraise or something).
That said, you guys were right. BB showed ATs, CO showed 76 for the OESD, and the AT held up, with the added insult of the king on the river.
I guess I just didn't feel like committing 90 bucks to a top pair hand that could have been beat, but instead was ahead to just a ballsy move by the BB.