Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2004, 05:09 PM

Default Calling a read question

Ok, here's the situation . ..

Stars 5+.50 SNG, down to 5 players. Blinds are up to 50/100.
BB has been LAG all game, calling down to the river with anything and everything. He's demonstrably tried to bluff more than a few hands, and has usually shown his cards to brag about them afterwards. He rarely enters a pot without going 3-4x the BB.

He's been the chip leader and down to 200 chips, both about twice at this point, and has been building back up frm his last dip down.

So here's the question . . given what I've seen of this guy .. is this a good call or not?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (6 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="C00000">Hero (t1785)</font>
SB (t3715)
<font color="C00000">BB (t985)</font>
UTG (t3470)
MP (t2030)
CO (t1515)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, MP folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t100</font>, SB folds, BB calls t50.

Flop: (t225) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets t200</font>, Hero calls t200.

Turn: (t625) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (t625) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets t685 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls t685.

Final Pot: t1995
<font color="green">Main Pot: t1995 (t1995), between Hero and BB.</font>
Old 09-21-2004, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Calling a read question

The best way to defuse what you think is a bluff is to raise, not call. See my thread on "A hand I found interesting". When he checks the turn, if your read is that he's the sort of LAG who checks when called, then pushin on the turn. If he's the sort of LAG who checks when he hits a monster, then you should check-fold.

I am reminded of a hand from day one of the WSOP where Sammy Farha loses most of his chips calling a guy who was bluffing down with a pocket pair of 6s on a ten high board. However the river was an 8, and Sammy loses the hand. The general consensus is that Sammy should have raised the turn, and taken the pot right then instead of giving the bluffer a chance to suck out on him.

Here, I would guess that the guy probably had a Queen and sucked out on the river. I would fold, but raising the turn is much better than checking behind if you think he's bluffing.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:20 PM

He held a 64s and i took the pot.

But just don't feel like I played it right.

I think in retrospect you're right .. i should have bet hard on the turn and either forced him all in there, or taken the pot down.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:18 PM

this is a tough call, as often as not i have seen this play so many times and often A high is good. i am not sure that I would call everytime here but in this situation i think you are good. if he had two hearts he would have bet the turn, he obviously doesnt have a K and if he had a Q he wouldnt go all in but would bet smaller most likely hoping you would call. or maybe i am giving him too much credit for thinking. i wouldnt be surprised if you are good here but wouldnt be surprised if he had a Q either. if he is really as LAG as you say then i would call but if he is even slightly realistic then it is much much tougher. hoep you won it.

pat