Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-21-2004, 02:28 PM

Default Bad timing or bad steal attempt?

About 130 players left in the Super Monday on Party with top 100 cashing. I'm not all that interested in stalling until the money. I have about 6000 and I have not been doing hardly any stealing as I was card cold but had just recently doubled up with QQ vs JJ. I am in ok shape relative to the blinds which if I recall correctly were 300/600.

It is folded to me in late position and I raise to 1700 and only the big blind calls. The big blind is one of the big stacks at the table and didn't appear to be playing a lot of hands.

Flop was 7 high rainbow and BB checked. I bet half the pot hoping to take it right there and was immediately raised to 3400. At this point my options are all-in or fold since calling does not accomplish anything. I fold after some deliberation and the BB shows pocket KK.

I think my preflop raise is ok since I need to steal some blinds to build my stack. A9 in late position with it folded to me is a pretty good spot for a steal in my opinion. I think I just got plain unlucky that the BB woke up with a monster hand.

Was I wrong to try and make this steal against one of the big stacks? Should I have bet the flop since it appeared to miss the caller even though I only had two overcards? I think the flop bet was ok and the BB just played the check-raise to perfection. The blinds ate me up pretty quickly after this hand and I got knocked out in 115th place.