Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2004, 12:49 AM

Default play it different?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (8 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(8 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

River: (8 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 14 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 14 BB, between MP1 and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (14 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
MP1 has 2h Ac (two pair, aces and twos).
Hero has 5d 5h (three of a kind, fives).
Outcome: Hero wins 14 BB. </font>

The pot is already 8sb's on the flop. A part of me wanted to just call but the other part said not to let any 3 or 4 see the turn without paying dearly. Is raising correct here?
What if the flop was A 5 9 rainbow, then should I wait until the turn to raise?
Old 09-21-2004, 12:33 PM

Default Re: play it different?

i guess everybody would play it exactly the same? thats good to know [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2004, 01:26 PM

On this type of flop, sometimes I call and sometimes I raise. Good job not backing down on the river.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:31 PM

Well played - nice 3-bet on the river.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:32 PM

If there was ever a time to slowplay the flop, this is it. You knocked out all your action with the raise on a highly uncoordinated board, and you helped your opponents to fold their dead money correctly. Call the flop and get your money in on the turn. If there were 2 suited cards or the board was more coordinated then I would agree with your line.

Jon
Old 09-21-2004, 01:35 PM

I'm not thinking that someone hit this flop very hard. Yes, the pot is already 8SB (9SB after the flop bet by MP1). I think I would take a risk and call here, going for the overcalls from 5 other players (since UTG+1 check out). The board isn't all that coordinated (sure, there's a gutshot out there, but not worried about it). There was no pf raiser, so I'm not too worried about set over set here and the board is rainbow. There are not a lot of cards that beat you on the turn (maybe 4). I go for overcalls and raise the turn.

Your hand is not a monster, but it is very strong. Don't be afraid to build a pot and get paid.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:31 PM

board not co-odrinated at all, very few draws that can hurt you, and many draws that could posibbly make some nice strong second best hands. I just call and let others in. Besides, its not like your giving them a freecard. they still have to call a bet.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:35 PM

i like the riase on the flop 8 ppl saw the flop. Not that the baord is that connected but you dont want 8 ppl hanging around for some kind of gutshot or backdoor draw. Not only that but theres an ace out there any weak ace is still calling you to the river and the guy who bet who probably caught aces up on the river is also calling you down. No need to slowplay.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:44 PM

Did you see the river play? I don't think he "knocked out all his action".

I don't think you can go wrong either way, by raising or calling this flop. Against a group of very aggressive players, I probably raise knowing that chances are I'm not killing any future action. Vs. rocks, I probably go for overcalls.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:54 PM

I'm basing the decision at the moment of the flop, not backward-looking from the river. Versus a very aggressive table, there is no point in waiting, I agree, but given no reads here I think calling is the best play in general. Is raising awful? No. I think calling gets a small edge at a typical table is all.