Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2004, 09:54 PM

Default Question for The Gift of Gab on a UB $25-$50 hand

I've was seeing an game at UB $25-$50 and I saw an hand where you called an bet on the flop then on the turn and then on the river, the guy shows 84o and takes it down with a two pair, I initially tought you had an set but then seems you had Axs for the flush draw and when you made your A pair on the turn you though it was good and decided to call the river because of the pot odds?Please let me know if this is correct
Old 09-20-2004, 10:51 PM

Default Re: Question for The Gift of Gab on a UB $25-$50 hand

The flop was 984 with two spades. I had the king-high flush draw on the button and hit a king on the turn. An ace hit on the river and my opponent pushed for about 1200 into a ~3000 pot.

This guy is pretty loose-aggressive (he did limp with 84o) and since the flop was checked to him in the cutoff, I thought he'd bet the flop with a lot of weak pairs and draws. On the river all I had was a pair of kings on an AK984 board with three clubs, but most of the draws that were there on the flop didn't make it and I was pretty sure he didn't have an ace or clubs because of a timing-related tell. I thought he'd follow through with most draws on the turn and river so I had an easy call getting ~3.5 to 1. Oh well.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:06 PM

What's with your post counter? You have to have posted way more than 243 times or whatever it is now.

-greg
Old 09-21-2004, 01:08 PM

No, it's right. I don't post often, and rarely outside this forum.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was pretty sure he didn't have an ace or clubs because of a timing-related tell.

[/ QUOTE ]

GoG..what exactly are you talking about when you say "timing-related tell". . without getting into specifics about this particular opponent.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:23 AM

I'm not GoG obviously, but I'll put in my two cents about timing tells. I've found that in the low stakes games at Party, I can often tell when a player is on a draw versus a made hand based on how quickly he calls. If I think he's on a draw, I'll know to bet hard on the turn, whereas if it's a made hand, I may have to reevaluate the strength of my hand and slow down (If I'm betting with one-pair, etc.).

I'm assuming GoG has a similar tell with this opponent.

Justin A
Old 09-21-2004, 09:52 AM

So, are they drawing when they call quickly or when they think a while then call?

(Different opponents will have different timing, of course, but what's the general guideline, if any.)

Thanks,
Che
Old 09-22-2004, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, are they drawing when they call quickly or when they think a while then call?

(Different opponents will have different timing, of course, but what's the general guideline, if any.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, my experience doesn't qualify for the game in question, but in low stakes a quick call tends to be a draw.

Justin A
Old 09-21-2004, 12:34 PM

Im not speaking for the other poster. But to me timing related tell means something along the lines of if they call quickly once or twice they are likely on a draw. They don't need to think about where they stand on a hand, they just call to see if they get there or not. If they have a pair then they have to think about whether their pair is good and whether their kicker is good so they take longer. Or if they have 2 pair or a made hand they may act quickly because they know where they stand, etc..
So I assume the poster means he either was betting quickly, calling quickly, or taking his time. Either of which could give some insight into his hand. But I think better players online generally try to take the same time with every move so there is no timing tells if possible. If this guy is limping with 84o he may not be one of those players though..
Old 09-21-2004, 01:28 PM

My opponent bet quickly on the turn and pushed less than a second after the ace hit the river. Since there were two spades and three clubs on board (and because it's hard to tell them apart on UB) I decided the ace didn't change anything - he had either a good made hand or a busted draw.

I haven't played with him much recently, but he seems to be the type to keep firing after taking the lead. I thought he could have any non-nut flush draw, any open-ender, and maybe QT or QJ, as well as the made hands. The 84o surprised me a little.