Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2004, 08:31 AM

Default Finally learning NL : so, what the hell did I do wrong here?

Background: I'm a reasonable stud, limit and SNG player, but I'm still VERY new to NL, as will be obvious from the hand below. So, take me out to the woodshed, people. School me. I'm all ears. Because the next time I'm in this situation, I want to play it right. Thanks for all tips, analysis, and general knuckle-rapping you all can provide [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

q/q

-----

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (9 handed) converter

Hero ($40.85)
SB ($175)
BB ($52)
UTG ($26.20)
Evil Bastard ($45.55)
MP1 ($118.45)
MP2 ($61.25)
MP3 ($20.75)
CO ($18.60)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, Evil Bastard calls $1, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $1, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $5</font>, SB folds, BB folds, Evil Bastard calls $4, MP2 folds.

Flop: ($12.50) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Evil Bastard checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $12</font>, Evil Bastard calls $12.

Turn: ($36.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Evil Bastard bets $8</font>, Hero calls $8.

River: ($52.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Evil Bastard bets $20.55 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls $15.85 (All-In).

Final Pot: $88.90
<font color="green">Main Pot: $84.20, between Hero and Evil Bastard.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Evil Bastard ($84.20).</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: $4.70, returned to Evil Bastard.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Evil Bastard has 8h Td (two pair, tens and eights).
Hero has As Ac (one pair, aces).
Outcome: Evil Bastard wins $88.90. </font>

-----
Old 09-20-2004, 08:39 AM

Default Re: Finally learning NL : so, what the hell did I do wrong here?

Only mistake I see is not pushing the turn, but hey, the cat is gonna call anyway. With tiny stacks and that buy in structure Aces are boss there. But, that's Party poker in a nutshell.

Small stack + stupid players = wicked beats.
Chalk it up, reload and move on.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:59 AM

Push on the turn since you know you'll have to call on the river anyway, you don't want to give any cheap cards to flush or straight draws.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:08 AM

Ok, I figured that failing to push the turn was my most obvious error (I couldn't put him on the 76, but I guess I got cold feet ... lesson learned on that one). But how about the bet sizes on the preflop raise and the flop bet? I'm serious when I say I'm REALLY new to NL. This was completely seat-of-the-pants stuff, and I'm wondering if I inadvertently gave off signals (via my bets) that I was weaker than I was (did I overbet?) or that maybe I should have laid lower on the flop (?).

My basic approach right now (for lack of anything else) is just to ask myself "what do I want this person to do?" and then, when I have that answer, I try to guage what bet will achieve that result. What I was trying to do here was to let him make the bad call on the preflop, but then make him pay to draw any further. The bet on the turn threw me, I guess, because I wasn't expecting it (which should've tipped me off that it was a bluff or an overbet, in retrospect), but maybe I trapped him up more than I meant to? Argh. I'm just not sure. But I dont' want to chalk this loss up to inevitability until I'm positive there's no way I could've taken it down against this (obviously poor) player.

q/q
Old 09-20-2004, 11:37 AM

Replay the hand - this time be your opponent, but put yourself on AK - your play could have been made with AK in which case a party opponent might think
Preflop - ok, my any two can beat AK
Flop - ok, so he bet with overcards and because he led preflop and he's supposed to, nothing to worry about
Turn - I'll lead out to show him who's boss, see if there is no resistence - if he reraises, I'll know there's trouble - he didn't so I'm o.k.
River - Beautiful
Old 09-20-2004, 11:44 AM

Preflop: fine
Flop: fine
Turn: I would reraise to $20-$25 here deep stacked but the stacks work out perfect here for an allin reraise.
River: shouldn't end up in this situation, but, if so, it's still a call.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:15 PM

I dont know if this guy's thinking equates to what Gator was saying b/c he is obviously terrible, but ya you still need to push on the turn if you're planning on calling the river anyway. This bet could easily be a ploy for him to draw cheaply or push you off your hand by confusing you.
And who knows, maybe he would have even, gasp, folded.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:31 PM

I don't think he'd call a reraise all-in here. The villain got EXACTLY what he was looking for; a cheap river with an unsure holding. If he had been popped back all-in on the turn, I think he'd have to lay it down, or at the very least he'd be calling with really, really bad odds compared to what he got.

This tiny bet out on the turn from an out of position player reaks of weakness. In my experience this kind of bet is almost always a semi-bluff. He is testing the waters for an AK or similar holding from our Hero, and hoping to improve his hand cheaply.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:09 PM

You should have went all-in on the turn. You want to make him pay for the river.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:59 PM

Preflop :: Make the raise a bit more. Think about the situation you will put the callers in...the pot is (1(BB)+ .5(sb) + 1(call) + 1 (call) + 5(you)) 8.50 assuming the sb or bb don't come along. so it's 4 bucks to you in a 8.5 pot..those are decent odds. Great odds once one or 2 players call. So you shoulnd't be too surprised if you end up playing this pot multi-handed

The turn screams damage control. Opponent is thinking.."That guy just bet 12...perhaps I can bet 8 and avoid a bet by my opponent that would be higher"

If you think your opponent is good he might be fishing for a reraise though. The reason you might think this is that calling the pot sized bet on the flop indicates some sort of hand...possibly a set after limping pre-flop. But at this limit I'd lean hard towards damage control.

Therefore...raise to 24 on the turn...fold to an all-in.