Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2004, 02:18 AM

Default AJs v.s. known LAG - comments?

Comments please.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Villain is playing about 50% of his hands with about 30 hands so far. He is raising the flop pretty much at random. Suited connectors and up are raising hands for him. His post flop play is aggressive and a little random. He is betting people out of pots with pretty good success. I have position and am just waiting for a good hand.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.50. UTG posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="CC3333">UTG (poster) raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 <font color="purple">(Villian)</font> 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO (poster) folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 <font color="purple">(Villian)</font> calls.

Raise the villian to isolate him when I have a good flop. It doesn't completely work, but I end up with the button.

Flop: (17.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, Villian calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, Villian calls.

Thank you gods, it's the nut flush! I am certian I am winning.

Turn: (12.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Villian bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Villian 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB folds, Villian calls.

I put the villian on 2 pair and figure that he thinks I have less than the flush. I value bet/get greedy. He rarely backs down once he raises.

River: (22.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Villian bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Villian 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Villian calls.

I am still fairly confident I am winning. I value bet some more, expecting to take a LAG to the cleaners.

Final Pot: 30.75 BB

Was I TAG or LAG here? I am not sure. I may have just been on tilt from flopping the flush.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:40 AM

Default Re: AJs v.s. known LAG - comments?

I guess I'm wondering about someone who 3-bets with the flush out there. KT (turn still doesn't make sense) or smaller flush.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:58 AM

Initially I also thought the villain has KT. However, if he has KT it seems strange that he didnt raise the flop (because he is a LAG with top pair), and it is also strange that he then 3-bet the turn (if he was scared of the flush, why does he suddenly start betting with two-pair)?

I think it more likely he has TT, as when the turn comes up Ten, he starts going wild.

Although I would of probably played it exactly the same as you, in retrospect perhaps just calling the river would have been safer?

But i'm a newbie so I could be totally wrong.....
Old 09-20-2004, 09:41 AM

I'm thinking he has AJ, KT, or QT. Even if he's a complete maniac I don't think I'd cap the river with the FH being a distinct possibility.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:24 PM

He did in fact have pocket 10's and killed me with the full house. This was a disaster. Losing this hand put me on a tilt I still haven't recovered from.

After making $150 in about 20 hours last week at .5/1 I am losing steadily in ring. Good thing I am doing well at 10+1 SNG's or I would be out of money by now.

Saint_D
Old 09-20-2004, 10:30 PM

Once he leads out the river I just call actually, he hit every card he needed which sucks. You cap the turn and he still bets out when the board pairs? Unless he has trips you should be weary.

-Sent
Old 09-20-2004, 10:38 PM

Capping this preflop rather than dumping it is +EV on a suitably loose table, but does lead to higher variance than tighter play.

You'll need to overcome tilting on bad beats at limit poker though - there's just no reason for it. You can't win enough or lose enough on any single hand to make any material difference in anything. And, in the off chance that it does make a material difference, then you are playing at too high a liimt.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You'll need to overcome tilting on bad beats at limit poker though ... And, in the off chance that it does make a material difference, then you are playing at too high a liimt.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, thanks for the unvarnished words.

second, lol.

I would have to move to Pacific to go to lower limits. I am playing .5/1 on party. (I don't want to put any money into Pacific since I have a reasonable low limit BR at party).

This hand didn't put me on tilt that I noticed. I still felt like I was playing my A game. The hole in the bottom of my BR boat is what did it to me. After this hand, I was losing hand after hand. I went down $70 in 4 hours at .5/1. My AA wasn't getting any action, and my 2 pair were getting straits and flushes coming out of the woodwork. I am going over that session in PT now that I have some distance to see if I was playing as terribly as I assumed the next day.

You are right that it's silly. $70 is a pretty small amount of money for me. I have a job and it pays decently. I don't play for the money per se. I play to be better than other players. The BR is just the evidence I can point too.

I played 10+1 for a few days and my bankroll is now at a record high. Enough to fund more ring practice I guess.

I will try to dig out some more interesting hands that I am insecure about and post them.

-Saint_D
Old 09-21-2004, 01:46 AM

He just hit every card he needed. It is a good strategy to seek out the "less talented" players, but dont always think that they are bluffing. A call on the river would have been a safer play, the pot was already large and a cap seemed almost inevitable.