Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2004, 09:47 PM

Default Strange thing with FireFox browser

Anyone here use FireFox to brows the web? The reason I ask is I noticed something strange. Usually if you type, say, msnbc in the adress bar it will take you to www.msnbc.com. It does this with everything. Well, if you type "partypoker" it takes you to an affiliate site. Then if you type "www.partypoker.com" it will take you to partypoker, but there is an affiliate id in the menu bar. I'm I just loosing my mind or does firefox really do this?
Old 09-19-2004, 10:15 PM

Default Re: Strange thing with FireFox browser

When I type in "partypoker" in the address bar it takes me to Steve Badger's blurb on Party in is website.

When I type in the actual address it takes me to the address.

When you just type in words it looks like it does a web search of those words and takes you to the closest matched site. Try typing in "bob dylan".
Old 09-19-2004, 11:12 PM

When you type in a phrase and no extension (like .com, .net, .org) what Firefox actually does is Google search the phrase and automatically send you to the first link on the search page. For instance if you search for party poker on Google.com you don't get the actual Party web site but the playingwinningpoker.com as the first entry. Thus it sends you to that site first.

For future reference, just type partypoker and hit control + enter. That adds http://www. before and .com after the phrase. This works in IE too.

Use shift + enter for .net, control + shift + enter for .org. These two hotkeys are not IE compatible. For more hotkeys visit the Firefox hotkey page.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:39 AM

Ok cool. This was the first time I came across this. Every other time it has went to the web site I had intended. Just a strange coincidence!

Thanks
Old 09-20-2004, 11:26 AM

Firefox is an excellent browser. One very cool feature for those who use 1600/1200 resolution, is that you can hit ctl and +, and the text size will increase. It lets you browse at a reasonable text size, and yet play poker at the same time at the higher res.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:11 PM

I know, It's great. I've all but dumped IE. There are alot of great extensions too. I really like the one that lets you hover over a link to preview a picture of the web page (forget what it's called) as well as the one that lets you remove ads from web pages. And oh yea, it's FAST.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Firefox is an excellent browser. One very cool feature for those who use 1600/1200 resolution, is that you can hit ctl and +, and the text size will increase. It lets you browse at a reasonable text size, and yet play poker at the same time at the higher res.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can do the same with IE. Also, Ctrl-(mousewheel) works in both. Firefox is nice though.

~CT11