Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2004, 07:10 PM

Default NL tournaments: Ante structure vs No Ante structure

I've have relatively a lot of experience playing live NL tournaments. Most of them employ an ante at some point.

Now I've played a number of Empire NL tournaments and find out they don't have an ante. It's also the first online NL tournament experience for me.

It seems to me that the no ante structure really favors my style of play: tight and aggressive. I don't get cards often enough for the type of tournaments where the antes eat away at your stack in combination of the blinds. I feel I get a lot more play for my money without the antes.

As an aside, it's possible that I get more play for my money simply because it's online and get more hands per round than live. This might skew my views somewhat, but I'm wondering what others prefer:

Ante or No Ante?

Garland
Old 09-19-2004, 07:48 PM

Default Re: NL tournaments: Ante structure vs No Ante structure

2 edged sword.
If I'm a big stack, I like the ante forcing smaller stacks to play maginal hands
If I'm a small stack I prefer no ante so I can be more selective in my hands.

Overall I think no ante is better for TAG type play

regards,
woodguy
Old 09-19-2004, 08:51 PM

I agree with both of you. UB had tourneys without antes about a year ago, and then enacted antes in every tourney, except sitngo's. Besides Empires's tourneys (party too i guess), where else has tourneys with no antes?? Absolute poker, pacific poker, 7 sultans, etc.?? If you know of a site with anteless multi-table tourneys, please respond.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:39 AM

The obvious answer here would be Party Poker....
Old 09-20-2004, 05:51 AM

Ive heard this a lot before. Its a false advantage... everyone likes no ante. All it does is make you feel more comfortable in the later stages of a tourney. While you lose more during rounds you dont play, on those rounds you pick up a big hand, there is more in the pot, so either more for you to steal preflop or a bigger pot for you to win in general. It doesnt give an advantage to the tight aggressive player over the whole tournament.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:54 AM

aztec poker doesn't have antes...but they also don't have players. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2004, 06:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems to me that the no ante structure really favors my style of play: tight and aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure about that? I mean, I just read you AA post [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Sorry, couldnīt resist.

Martin Aigner
Old 09-20-2004, 09:19 AM

Default UB Tournament structure and a stack-size question.

First off, some UB tournaments do not have antes. I have not been able to find any documentation on their site, but I think that if a tournament has less than 200-300 players, it will not have antes.

Second, it is readily agreed upon that once your stack has 10x the BB you are "short-stacked" and are in push or fold territory. How big can a stack be and still be considered "short-stacked" when antes are taken into consideration?