Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2004, 12:42 PM

Default KK postflop play

8 Handed and I am CO dealt KK, after I raise to 5xBB, the button and BB calls. The flop comes AK8 rainbow. The Big Blind checks, and I lead out with about 8xBB, hoping someone hit the ace well enough. The button calls and the BB folds. The turn is a J. I bet 10xB, he raises.
Right now, should I raise all in, simply call and try to improve his hand further, or suspect a straight?
Old 09-18-2004, 12:58 PM

Default Re: KK postflop play

You need to give a bit more information here, what are the relevant stack sizes. What read do you have on the button? What stage of the tournament is this?

I would suspect AA before I suspect Q10 for the straight, but that again would depend on your read of the button. Would he call a 5XBB raise with Q10?

Based on just the information given here, he could possibly have AA, AK, AJ, JJ or he could even be over playing something like AQ given your weak flop and turn bets. I think more information is needed here to decide what would be the correct turn play.
Old 09-18-2004, 01:07 PM

In this tournament out of 400, there were about 80 left, and the blinds were at 2000/4000. My stack was about 150000 heading into hand and his was about 120000 (before the hand).
Old 09-18-2004, 04:07 PM

There are only two hands that beat you, AA and QT. Why would he call with QT? If he has AA, why would he not reraise?

Is there any way you can get away from this hand? Is there any way you can avoid going bust if you are beaten? If your opponent is behind, is it likely he can get ahead of you on the river?

I would assume I am winning and try to get as much money in the pot as possible. I would make a decent reraise, but not a push, and make another bet on the river.