Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2004, 05:47 AM

Default Bleeding after reading new low limit book

I know the general consensus was that Mason's new low limit book was really helpful but I have been bleeding money like crazy since I read it.

I think this may just be a bad run of cards but am not sure. Recently I have win rates of around 6% on party and its been going on for several weeks. Ugh!

In the past, I had good tight starting hand requirements and was winning at 2/4 party and pacific 5/10 (crushing it).

Has anyone else had a difficult time after reading the book. I was thinking that I was perhaps playing in more marginal situations than I am used to and misplaying hands but if this were the case I would think I would be losing but have a higher win rate.

Any thought - sorry not a great post but frustrated.
Old 09-18-2004, 07:32 AM

Default Re: Bleeding after reading new low limit book

I responded to someone else with your concern in this thread.
Old 09-18-2004, 08:05 AM

Ed -

Sorry this is in the wrong forum -
It was late and i thought I was posting in the general forum - hopefully it can be moved or erased (not very interesting)

I realize that there is not nec. a meaningful statistical correlation between my results and reading your book - having taken graduate level statistics.

However, I do think that some of the plays you suggest will considerably increase variance levels (compared to a more passive style i.e. raising with 99 in lp) - I think you guys might even mention this in the book - and also put you in a position where the decisions you are making are more complicated -

I am not disputing that you are giving correct advise over the long term and that learning to deal with these situations will make me a better player.

My situation is a little different than the other thread you suggested - i dont like to distribute stats on the internet but I have made significant money and had a much worse bad spell - my assesment is that i have had horrible cards - played more aggresively after reading your book and increased my variance as a result - i will also admit that i have probably mis-applied several of your concepts as i attempt to master them - all in all not a fun combo.

Thanks for replying to my email - its not often that one gets a response from an author and by the way I really like the book and have been re-reading it.

Thanks again
Old 09-18-2004, 03:01 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

reread the first section. Gambling concepts, i think it's called. If you're playing well, this section will help you. To me, it's the most important section in the book and will likely be the least read. Also go through your game with a fine toothed comb to make sure you are actually playing well.

b
Old 09-18-2004, 03:09 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
after my first six months in poker, all six losing months, one day I finally "knew" that I understood poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

This line brought back memories of our conversation(s) outside the pisces buffet at mucks.

b