Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2004, 02:19 AM

Default When do I fold AKo?

Loose peoples. they call with anything!

Ultimate Bet 0.01/0.02 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.01. MP1 posts a blind of $0.01.
UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 (poster) checks, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero (poster) raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (18 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(9 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO folds, Button calls, Hero calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls, Button calls.

Turn: (15 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls, Button calls.

River: (21 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+2 calls, MP2 folds, Button folds.

Final Pot: 23 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 23 BB, between Hero and UTG+2.</font>
Old 09-18-2004, 02:24 AM

Default Re: When do I fold AKo?

Check-call the turn. Fold the river. Your ace high will not be good here, not with this many people in the pot.
Old 09-18-2004, 03:04 AM

Against 5 other players, you have absolutely zero chance of being ahead on the turn or river. Especially if, as you say, they'll call with anything.

You have no draw other than to top pair -- and someone might make two pair when you hit. Check/call the turn and check/fold the flop if you don't improve.
Old 09-18-2004, 04:33 AM

Why are you leading the turn? Is it because you think you have the best hand? If this is true you should 3 bet the flop. Same question on the river. AK always makes for an interesting hand because you just don't hit as many flops as you would like and then you have some decisions to make. If nothing else this hand shows you why position is great, having to act first after missing with AK just sucks.

Check/call the turn and check/fold the river without improvement. I sometimes like to C/R these flops if I think later positioned players are where the bet will likely come from (this helps narrow the field and cleans up your Ace and King outs).

-DeathDonkey
Old 09-18-2004, 05:36 AM

So thanks for those of you who responsed to these couple of hands I posted. As you can probably tell, I'm not great in Turn or River play, that's probably why I'm playing .01/.02 and not .5/1.

Why did I lead the Turn and River?
Because somewhere along the way I picked up the habit of trying to play with some aggression. Seems like I don't know when to turn it off.
Old 09-18-2004, 08:21 AM

Call the flop raise, and check/fold the turn if you don't improve.
Old 09-18-2004, 04:34 PM

Our Hero is out of position vs 8 opponents on the flop. Sure it's ragged... but does betting really have much chance of improving his odds of winning? He's got, what, 4 outs? Add in a good heaping of reverse domination potential, and sprinkle in some redraws on the turn to finish.

I check and see what develops behind me. Hopefully I learn something that will help me protect my hand on the turn if I hit.

It's a big pot and I want to win it, but I'm first to act with a weak drawing hand. Betting is not for value, so it has to make sense in other ways. I'm not convinced it's significanly better than checking in this case. Therefore I check.