Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2004, 11:22 AM

Default Taj 5/10 Advice

Hitting up the 5/10 tonight at the Taj, how do the games play there? Loose-passive? Loose-aggressive?

Don't have a ton of experience with live games, but I'm beating Party 1/2 pretty handily. I've heard Taj 5/10 is comparable?

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Taj 5/10 Advice

Be careful when you go down, bring a big enough bank roll ifyou plan on playing for awhile. I went down there last week with about $400. The table I was at was extremely loose and very unprofitable. I was actually up to $500 only to finally leave with only $50. I love loose games but you can't win at a table with at least 8 people consistently showing down at the river. I wouldn't sit down at a 5/10 without at lesat $300. You don't wanna short stack yourself. Maybe I'll see you down there. Planning on going myself. Hope this helps.

Lexington[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2004, 12:46 PM

"I love loose games but you can't win at a table with at least 8 people consistently showing down at the river."

No, YOU can't win with 8 people showing down at the river. Lots of people would have no trouble beating that game, because instead of whining, they'd adjust. This is why one shouldn't write in the second person.
Old 09-17-2004, 01:15 PM

After talking with two or three friends about my experience I think it would've been hard for anyone to beat that table at the time. The best advice I've gotten (besides to stop playing limit) was to get up and find a better table. In games like this, with so many people calling all the way hands like TPTK are unfortunately going to chased down a lot. Over the long run players like us may have a chance but not in six hours from what I saw.

I saw two players go on unbelieveable rushes at the table. One player in the small blind cold called a raised and later a rereasie preflop with Q4 and ended up hitting his third four on the river to crack my Aces. Of course these things happen and that's fine. But in situations like this there's not a whole lot you can do besides start more suit connectors when you have the odds and get your money in when you think you have the best of it. I adjusted pretty quickly as it doesn't take a genius to figure what's going on. But there's only so much you can do. Anyone who's ever done some experimenting with poker software or a deck of cards and dealt AA with nine other random hands (over and over again) and reenacted a flop, turn, and river, to see how many times the AA wins knows what I talking about.

Glen, I wasn't whining nor was i trying to post in the second person (I was a finance major not an english major). I was simply stating what happened last week.

Lexington
Old 09-17-2004, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The best advice I've gotten (besides to stop playing limit) was to get up and find a better table.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're already at the best table. In fact, if the list was fairly long, and I played that limit, I'd consider paying you for your seat.

[ QUOTE ]
Over the long run players like us may have a chance but not in six hours from what I saw.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's called variance. If you can't beat this game, you're probably a losing player at every table.
Old 09-17-2004, 02:39 PM

You can't beat bad players. They're too good.
Old 09-17-2004, 02:39 PM

Then variance is what it was. I've taken my share of bad beats before and that's not the problem I was just amazed at how loose the table was considering the limit. The 4/8 games at the Trop. aren't even that loose. I've never had a problem turning a decent profit at any of the games I've played in. Maybe six hours was just too short a time frame like I said.
Old 09-17-2004, 02:40 PM

bdk, I was thinking the same thing! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2004, 02:51 PM

"I've never had a problem turning a decent profit at any of the games I've played in."

Do you mean you'd never had a losing session prior to this? If this is true, I'd have to say your sample size is too small.

The game is the game (and it sounds like a great game), and the results are the results. They're two related but separate things. It's really important for poker players to realize this.

Maybe six hours was just too short a time frame like I said.

6 hours? Maybe 200 hands? This is too small a sample to make any real conclusions about, other the rate of free drinks per hour you were able to score.
Old 09-17-2004, 02:53 PM

Me: "You can't beat bad players. They're too good."

You: "bdk, I was thinking the same thing! :P"

I hope you recognize that I was being sarcastic. "Beating" bad players doesn't mean "coming out ahead in a session against bad players." To me, it means winning money in the long-term, and if you can't do that against bad players, you can't do that against anyone.