Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2004, 05:46 PM

Default Need help with a science project topic.

for my science class i have to do an all year project about anything i want and i am at a loss. i was thinking of doing something on the lines of poker in some way but i can't think of anything. you guys have any ideas?? thanks.

edit: i need to apply the scientific method.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:48 PM

Default Re: Need help with a science project topic.

How about the normal human learning process and how it doesn't apply to learning poker skills.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:42 PM

Default An idea

Get PokerTracker.

Play a few thousand hands.
Do a paper on the people who played with you, their betting patterns and amounts the've lost.

Find correlations.

It might be fun
Old 09-16-2004, 07:54 PM

What grade are you in? (will growing mold on some bread still do?).
Old 09-16-2004, 08:17 PM

lol no 10th grade but honors so of course only the best is accepted.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:28 PM

Default Re: An idea

[ QUOTE ]
Get PokerTracker.

Play a few thousand hands.
Do a paper on the people who played with you, their betting patterns and amounts the've lost.

Find correlations.

It might be fun

[/ QUOTE ]

i am thinking of doing something like that. i think i will do the paper on how they play like tight loose and other characteristics on how my oppenents play. like i would play a .2/.4 limit and a .5/.10 limit and compare and contrast them as well as using pokertracker to figure out patterns and aggresivness.

but! i need to define the constant, a dependent variable, an independent variable, and the control.

so the constant would be...? a constant is a variable that stays the same.

the independent variable is a variable i change on purpose so that would be changing the limits.

a dependent variable is the thing that responds to the change. so that would be the players.

the control would be......? a control is a standard for comparison so i don't know what i would compare it too.

so if i can answer what the control and constant is then i think i would be able to do it. if anyone knows what they would be or has a different approach to it than please feel free to chime in. thanks!
Old 09-16-2004, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol no 10th grade but honors so of course only the best is accepted.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, well after moldy bread I'm fresh out of ideas. Moldy cheese maybe?
Old 09-16-2004, 08:33 PM

Default Here\'s some real ideas...

Dude, science is so much more interesting than poker. I'm sure there's plenty of game theory and/or psychology stuff that you could think about, but this is pretty tired. Think about something that has always puzzled you. Take women, for instance. Seriously. Ever think about why they smell good? How come some chicks just make you crazy, even though some others, who may be more attractive, just don't do it for you? There's some real science there.

Or, think about the color of the sky. It's blue at day and red at dusk. Why? Light scattering is an interesting topic, indeed, and there's lots of stuff you can do with it. It's also whe secret of why rubies are red, and why other gems have colors. If your school will buy you 80 bucks worth of chemicals, you can make gold nanoparticles, and you can see how they change color as their size changes. A simple chemistry project, and still amazing, no matter how many times I've done it. You can connect this with above, and try to figure out why chicks like rubies. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

You ever wonder why people in traffic jams are such dumb-asses, or why traffic is as bad as it is? Real science here. People spend tons of money researching this, but I suspect that the people who are doing the research may not be the best people for the job.

I guess you're too young, but if you've ever been to a club (or a stoner buddy's house) where they have blacklights, did you ever wonder why your white T-shirt glows? If you drink gin and tonics, they glow a deep purple color. Do you know why? It's fluorescence, all quantum mechanics, and a cool science project, indeed. You can get a black light, a ton of household stuff will glow amazing colors (Prell shampoo is kick-ass, IIRC).

I guarantee you that the best, and most fun, project will be when you take a real look at something that you see every day, but never really thought about. This is what makes science fun.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:49 PM

Default Re: Here\'s some real ideas...

you seem to know what you are talking about. i think those are some good ideas but i mean i really wanted to do one that interested me and b/c it didn't have to do with science at all as long as i applied the scientific method to it i can do it. i figured out already all the kinks to my poker idea and am probably going to do it. i appreciate your ideas and agree with you totally lol but i am really expressing the need to stay away from science since i never get to do a project on what i want to do. but i will definitly look this one up next time i need to do a science project. thanks.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:05 PM

Default Re: Here\'s some real ideas...

Have you read Alan Schoonmakers book? You could test out his theories and write/demonstrate them in action. Other than the psychology aspect I'm kind of at a loss for how a science project could be based around poker.

For instance, his overall theory that winning poker is not a NATURAL human reaction.

But maybe you could base your project just around gambling in general. Or game theory.