Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2004, 12:49 PM

Default 3k in 60 Days - College Life part Trios

My name is Brad Augsburger, I'm a freshman at Bradley University in Peoria, Illinois. I'm 18 years old and have been playing poker for about 4 years. I've been beating the games at Stars for just under a year now, and I want to put myself to a challenge to test my resolve and truly see if I can grind it out like a pro, working towards a goal. I need a good way to integrate school and poker, and I feel that if I set up structured times to play and have something to work for, I can succeed in both simoultaneously.

My plan is to 5-table the Stars 2/4-full and 3/6-full games for 2 hours a day during the week, right after I get back from the gym at about 6:00 each evening. As a college student, maintaing my bankroll is very important, and from my experience the variance on the full tables is less than on the SH tables. To earn $3,000 in 60 days I will have to win an average of $50 a day, which is feasible in 2/4, even in the full ring games.

I plan to see this to the end at all costs, because I have had trouble finding time to get hours in here at Bradley. I will not be playing on weekends, because I've found through trial and error that playing while inebriated is a recipe for disaster, and I need Sundays for club racquetball and to study.

Here's a list of things I plan to accomplish in succeeding in this quest:

- Convince my parents that poker is more than just luck and through sound calculations and logic you can come out a winner more often than you come out a loser.

- Earn extra money for my trip to the Bahamas this winter. (How am I going to convince my parents to let me go!?!? Legal gambling and drinking? I'll have to really out-fox them.)

-Organize my life so that I have designated times for poker, school, and working out, so that I will be able to get everything acomplished that I need to.

Day 1 will be Monday, tomorrow I'm heading up to NIU (Northern Illinois Univeristy) to visit my best friend Mike and another "good" friend of mine, Roseanne for the weekend. Barring any arrests for illegal transport or indecent exposure, I'll be back on Monday to begin my quest!
Old 09-16-2004, 01:13 PM

Default Re: 3k in 60 Days - College Life part Trios

Did you really need to put your full name and location?
Old 09-16-2004, 01:17 PM

2/4 and 3/6 at Stars? Heh, good luck.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:19 PM

Yeah, I'd definately make the switch to party.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:45 PM

They are right, definately switch to party.

Good Luck!
Old 09-16-2004, 02:14 PM

Sounds good Brad. I'll be doing a similar challenge myself starting today. Good luck!

Bill
Old 09-16-2004, 03:05 PM

Not to get down on this, but what's up with everybody on this site starting a quest or a challenge lately? At least if you're gonna do something like this I'd like to see somebody do something fresh rather than regurgitating the same old quest. If not at least make it interesting like gonores has made his rehash of 60K in 60 days.

With that said I wish you the best of luck in your quest. If you're 5 tabling at $2/$4 for 2 hours per day like you plan $50/day should be no problem. Also, if you're not planning on playing on the weekends hopefully you don't count those as days in your challenge, and by 60 days you mean 60 playing days, otherwise your quest is really $3K in 44 days.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:22 PM

Good luck man, I was going to go to Bradley this year but I fell in love with Baylor U. down in texas. How is the campus up there?
Old 09-16-2004, 04:59 PM

Campus is...well...small. But still awesome. The grub here is good, and Peoria is a great city...you just gotta go down the road a bit to find something to do. The on-campus activities are usually enough to keep me entertained though. And benhoe, don't worry, I'll have a nice mix of poker with anecdotes of my lame attempts at getting laid and falling off my loft while hammered. I promise to make it a good read. Perhaps I can provide a bit of nostalgia for the dinosaurs who read this site who fondly remember their college days.

I would definatley play at party except for...well...let's just say if you want to rape affiliate bonuses, don't register three accounts and fund them with the same firepay account, ya dig? The 2/4 and 3/6 at stars are plenty soft as long as you play in the evening.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:58 PM

You're right of course, that there are a lot of people starting quests, but I think it's great. You don't need to read all of them.

The more quests there are out there to follow the more people will be able to find one they relate to and probably have a lot of interest in. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]