Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2004, 10:09 AM

Default AA at 15/30

<font color="green"> I'd like all types of comments, I think every part of my play was outside of normal, and I wonder if there were better ways to play it. I have a decent read on the EP player, he seemed to be the type that wanted to "outplay" someone. He'd check-raise bluff me, fold on the river headsup when he'd have to have HORRIBLE cards not to make it mathematically right to call. He also played about 45% of his hands and raised 15%. I don't have much on the other main player in the hand, UTG2, but from what I saw he seemed to be a fairly straightforward player, who played a few too many hands. Oh, and my table image was pretty typical for me, pretty aggressive, showed down a few hands, some good, one not-so-good calling a bluff to win. I had been in a few hands with UTG, lots of raising back and forth... </font>

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $15.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO (poster) folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

<font color="green"> This is not anywhere near my normal play. I'm generally an autoraiser of AA, but I had been at this table for about 50 hands, and I was pretty sure no one would call a 3-bet unless they had some really big cards. However, I also thought I could suck one or two people into calling two cold. Little did I know it would become a limpfest. So, I decided rather than isolate the EP raiser, I would hope a few called. </font>

Flop: (13.66 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>

<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 3-bets</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, BB calls $14.50 (All-In), UTG calls, Hero calls.

<font color="green"> Great flop for me, I decided with that many people I couldn't let everyone peel one off for one bet. However, Ed Miller made me think that maybe the best bet would have been to smooth call and raise the turn. Thoughts?
Once the UTG2 3 bet, I decided I would hope for a blank and check-raise the turn.</font>

Turn: (12.31 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players, 1 all-in)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, UTG folds.

<font color="green"> Seemed pretty blank to me, so I check-raised, hoping that UTG2 wasn't on 89, and was on some other 8. As I was waiting for UTG2 to bet, I thought maybe I should have bet out in case he was on a open straight draw playing for the free card. </font>

River: (17.31 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls.

<font color="green"> Very obvious bet, I would have called a raise, but not 3-bet fearing 89. </font>

Final Pot: 19.31 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 10.76 BB, between UTG+2, BB and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (10.76 BB).</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: 8.55 BB, between UTG+2 and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (8.55 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB has Th 6h (one pair, nines).
Hero has Ac As (two pair, aces and nines).
UTG+2 has 8h Jh (two pair, nines and eights).
Outcome: Hero wins 19.31 BB. </font>
Old 09-16-2004, 01:46 PM

Default Re: AA at 15/30

I think you played the hand perfectly. The key for me is that the pot will be so big if you smooth call the flop that you will have trouble making anybody, even a gutshot straight draw, fold on the turn. So I raise the flop trying to prevent them from picking up those draws in the first place.

my 2 cents.
Eric
Old 09-16-2004, 01:58 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

Old 09-16-2004, 02:10 PM

I'm not a fan of fancy preflop plays. You say that no one will call your 3-bet unless they have big cards. You mean big cards like AK/AQ/AJ/KQ? If so, I would absolutely love to see them call 3 cold.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:18 PM

I would think that AK and AQ would call my 3-bet, but I would doubt AJ and KQ. Maybe I'm giving too much credit to others, but I had trouble thinking that they could call a 3-bet cold with those type of hands. I think most Party players get pretty skittish when they have to call $45 pre-flop.

matt
Old 09-16-2004, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would think that AK and AQ would call my 3-bet, but I would doubt AJ and KQ. Maybe I'm giving too much credit to others, but I had trouble thinking that they could call a 3-bet cold with those type of hands. I think most Party players get pretty skittish when they have to call $45 pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
For all you know, you'll get cold calls from A7s (yup, I've seen it before), any pocket pair, etc. You might even see a cap from one of those "it's gonna get capped anyway so I might as well do it myself" kind of players. My policy preflop is that if people want to chase against me, I will make it expensive for them. But I guess it worked out for you this time....
Old 09-16-2004, 02:47 PM

Fair enough, that's one of the parts of the hand I wasn't sure about. Like I said, I would say 90+% of the time I 3 bet the AA, but here I decided not too.

matt