Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2004, 08:49 AM

Default limping with aces on the button

second hand of online ub tourney.
seat 7(1000) limps, i limp with AhAd(990) sb completes(1080) and bb(990) checks
4 to the flop T40 in pot flop is QhQsJc
sb bets 10,bb fold seat 7 calls i raise to 90
sb calls seat 7 folds
turn is 5h sb checks i bet out 150 sb calls
river is 3h
sb bets out 540
i fold
sb played the first hand similarly betting the minimum then jacking up the price on the turn to win a small pot. had i raised it to say 50 preflop im not sure i would have had the same results. i play aces differently, but of course i usually dont have them 2nd hand of the tournament when i dont have much of a read.... thoughts appreciated
jason
Old 09-15-2004, 09:31 AM

Default Re: limping with aces on the button

I think on the button you have to raise here.
The main reason you want ot limp in with Aces is for someone to raise you, and then you get to reraise them.
Generally this is a play you make if you are in early position when there are still lots of people left to act behind you and you have a good chance of someone raising you.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:36 AM

Without commenting on the postflop play, it seems better to raise preflop. A button raise is not presumed to be strong, and you may even get played back at. This early in the tournament at this buyin, at least one of the blinds will probably call.

What is the purpose of limping? If you see the flop with two random hands, you are just asking for trouble if you play the aces strongly, which is what happened.

Generally, the only time to consider limping with aces is when you are the first one in the pot in early position.

Late in the tournament with shallow money, the aces are stronger after the flop, so trapping with a late position limp with aces might be reasonable.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:03 AM

took me a minute to realize what id done wrong i remember thinking when the screen popped up (and admittedly so i wasnt paying enough attn) one limper lets limp to. "forgot" that a raise would look stealy and i might get reraised im dumb. thanks for prompt responses.
jason