Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2004, 01:52 AM

Default what would happen if Robert Varkonyi, Cris Moneymaker, and Fossil.....

Played each other in a three person showdown of NL texas holdem 10 times?
A)Vorkonyi would win the most times
B.)Moneymaker would win the most times
C.)Fossilman would win the most times
D.) Men the master would change their minds and play them in 7 card stud, get totally trashed, and take all their money in a flurry of laughter and unshaved mole hairs
Old 09-15-2004, 01:53 AM

Default Re: what would happen if Robert Varkonyi, Cris Moneymaker, and Fossil.....

personally I think raymer would win about 5- 0r 6 times out of ten.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:57 AM

Default Re: what would happen if Robert Varkonyi, Cris Moneymaker, and Fossil.....

I'd say:

Moneymaker:4
Raymer: 4
Varkoni: 2

No offense to Greg, but I think if Moneymaker were a 2+2er and Greg weren't, then the perception here of them would be totally flipped. Greg had many more suckouts than Chris had...at least of what was shown on tv, although I would think that they would show all major suckouts by the eventual winner.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:02 AM

Was Varkonyi Really that bad?I'm wondering as a second question if its consensus that he was the worst WSOP champ ever? if not who was?
Old 09-15-2004, 02:02 AM

Chris Moneymaker is highly skilled, despite what many (too many) people think... And Varkonyi, although not in the same class as the other two, is fairly adept, as well. I do not think Raymer would win 5-6 times at all; rather, I wouldn't be surprised to see something like:
Moneymaker - 4
Raymer - 3
Varkonyi - 3

Of course, none of us here (aside Greg himself) is really privy to each man's shorthanded skills, as from records, we can only ascertain multi table tournament formats, but that said, (based on "TV hands") I'd give Chris the edge.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:11 AM

#1 Hal Fowler
#2 Varkonyi
Old 09-15-2004, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Played each other in a three person showdown of NL texas holdem 10 times?
A)Vorkonyi would win the most times
B.)Moneymaker would win the most times
C.)Fossilman would win the most times

[/ QUOTE ]

Varkoni would get his head spun around. Then if the law of averages were able work themselves out I think Greg would make less mistakes and would win out.

[ QUOTE ]
in a flurry of laughter and unshaved mole hairs

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, OMG, LOL. Thats the main reason I play 95% online. Whats with those things, they are really gross. If I'm being insensitive here, I'm sorry, but they are really gross.

-Jarid
Old 09-15-2004, 02:32 AM

moneymaker did have some monster suckouts though when he was all in. the pockets 8s vs pocket aces and the Phil Ivey hand, so I dont know about the suckout comparison.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:43 AM

People keep bringing up these suckouts. It's a lot different to suckout multiple times when you are actually all-in than it is to suckout when you have 10x more chips than the guy who's all-in you called. Playing such a giant stack like Raymer had, most of his suckouts were the correct plays IMO. While Moneymaker made many more actual 'bad' plays. At least from what I've seen from the few episodes of both years I've caught. I will say it's almost impossible to truly judge someones skill from TV episodes of just one tournament...
Old 09-15-2004, 03:21 AM

Default Re: what would happen if Robert Varkonyi, Cris Moneymaker, and Fossil.

[ QUOTE ]
Greg had many more suckouts than Chris had...at least of what was shown on tv, although I would think that they would show all major suckouts by the eventual winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even close.

Greg was never at risk of being put out of the tourney with the worst of it. He was the big stack and played as he was supposed to TO KNOCK PEOPLE OUT! Moneymaker getting lucky and Greg's getting lucky were totally different.