FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Hide Me From Search
Checked 16 29.09%
Unchecked 35 63.64%
Huh? 4 7.27%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-15-2004, 12:49 AM

Default Poll: Left, Right, or Ambidextrous

Housenuts made a post in the General THeory forum asking who was left-handed. Since this is a pretty large-sized forum, I've decided (in my infinite wisdom) to make a poll. Please answer honestly!

I would expect that the percentage of poker players being left-handed would be greater than the total world population of lefties, which is around 12%. So without further ado, I give to you..
Old 09-15-2004, 12:55 AM

Default Re: Poll: Left, Right, or Ambidextrous

Have some interesting fact about us lefties....

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Setting aside the as yet unexplained scientific aspect of their existence and origin, left-handed people are individuals whose perception of the direction in which things rotate is reversed. This phenomenon is often called the mirror effect.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] For the left-handed person, the natural direction of rotation is counterclockwise; clockwise corresponds to the natural direction of rotation for right-handed people.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] In the case of young people aged 10-20, more males (14%) and women (12%) are left-handed than in the case of older people (6% for both genders).

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] More men (13.5%) are left-handed than women (10%).

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] In 1963, Bob Charles became the first left-handed golfer to win the British Open golf tournament.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Since Jimi Hendrix could not afford to buy a left-handed guitar (too expensive) when he was just starting out, he learned to play a right-handed guitar, upside down.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Kermit, the famous frog, who made his first appearance in 1957, was left-handed, as was his creator, Jim Henson.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] The whirlpool created when you empty your bath spins clockwise in the northern hemisphere of the planet and counterclockwise in the southern hemisphere.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Hockey player Wayne Cashman (left-handed) has always claimed that the key to success in a fight is to get in the first punch and that if you lead with your left you have a distinct advantage when your opponent protects himself with his right.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] The spiral that forms the DNA chain that contains all of an individual’s genetic material turns clockwise.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] The first left-handed president of the United States, James A. Garfield, was also ambidextrous and enjoyed dazzling people by writing in Latin with one hand and Greek with the other.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] The three candidates who ran in the 1992 U.S. presidential election were all left-handed: Bill Clinton, Ross Perot and George Bush.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] All races that take place on an oval track, including those for the Olympics and the world championships, are run counterclockwise. Note: the same also applies to horse races.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] The direction in which the hands of a watch turn was initially determined by the rotation of the sun (from left to right), so that the rotation indicated on the first sundials would be the same. Needless to say, this also corresponds to the way in which right-handed people perceive rotation.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Left-hander Napoleon Bonaparte, Emperor of France, was painted by his contemporaries astride a horse, holding a telescope to his left eye.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] In the case of left-handed people, the left side is not necessarily dominant. In fact, in the case of 43% of left-handed people, their dominant eye is the right eye and only 45% of left-handers will kick a ball with their left foot. On the other hand, 95% of right-handed people also kick with the right foot.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Another left-hander, composer Sergei Rachmaninoff had the greatest reach ever measured when it came to playing the piano. With his left hand, he could reach 12 white keys, which represents an octave and a half.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Another famous left-hander, Leonardo da Vinci, wrote all of his personal notes from right to left, forcing those who read them to use a mirror.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In the case of young people aged 10-20, more males (14%) and women (12%) are left-handed than in the case of older people (6% for both genders).

[/ QUOTE ]

Right handed people on average live 9 years longer then leftys.... i saw this factoid today on the little LCD TV monitor dealy that they recently installed in my apartment complex's elevators... i knew that little tidbit would come in handy. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2004, 04:52 AM

Can i say ambidextrous if i can shuffle chips with both hands [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2004, 08:01 AM

What do you mean by a person's "natural direction of rotation" or how they "percieve rotation"?

Interesting post.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:29 AM

What the hell is that green penis with legs you have as your avatar?
Old 09-15-2004, 11:36 AM

Right handed people on average live 9 years longer then leftys..

this is true.

my lefthanded brother, whom i am always remining him of this, says that many deaths are due to people operating cars and machinery or other obstacles in life that are designed for rightys.

lame excuse, but i expect that from one of nature's FREAKS.

Old 09-15-2004, 11:40 AM

What the hell is that green penis with legs you have as your avatar?

I knew there was a reason for me reading this board a lot in the past... Cheers for the laugh cup.

Simon
Old 09-15-2004, 11:50 AM

No way are there that many "ambidexterous" people.

This would be a great time to get a post from "Small sample size man"

What defines ambidexterous. I write lefthanded, I throw lefthanded, but I bat righty. I hold a tennis racket in my right hand but a ping pong paddle in my left. I use a mouse with my right hand, and smoke cigarettes with my right hand. Does that make me ambidexterous? NO. If you write with X hand then you are X. End of story.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:03 PM

You play tennis with your right hand but ping pong with your left!!?? That's wierd. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I'm a righty and proud of it. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]