Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2004, 12:05 AM

Default Poker Dilemma

In part because I am a moron, I have lost my $1,750 bankroll at Paradise. There are plenty of bad bear stories, but I also wasn’t properly bankrolled to play at the limits that I was at. I have an $18,525 roll at Party but don’t really feel like risking any of it during the school year. I just transferred this year to a new school and have plenty to do and keep me busy. The last thing I need is to experience the rollercoaster of the $10/20 6 max game that I typically play.

So what I am proposing to do is start completely over again at Paradise with my $3.92 that I have left in my account. I would be playing at the .02/.04 tables, but does make any sense for someone who has the money to play at higher limits? I just don’t feel comfortable or emotionally ready to play the big stakes at this time. I would like to hear your thoughts on my plan. Perhaps it’s just best to scrap poker altogether while I am at school, but I am worried about becoming rusty.

If I were to follow through with my plan I would accumulate 100 big bets before proceeding to the next level. And to make sure that I followed it precisely I was thinking about posting a bi-weekly or weekly update.

I’ll cut myself off before I start to ramble, but I would greatly appreciate any comments.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:14 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: Poker Dilemma

this seems completely pointless
Old 09-15-2004, 12:25 AM

you're quite likely to go broke eventually if you only keep 100big bets for the limit you're at. Much more likely than going broke playing 10-20 with that sized br.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:32 AM

When a major league pitcher gets knock around too much, they send him back to AAA or even AA. Move down ONE or Two levels. Work out any leaks through self examination and when your ready (demonstrated by winning consistently) then move up again. No matter how good you are playing with an inadequate bank roll is a MAJOR ***STRATEGIC*** leak no matter how good you are.

If your confidence has taken that big a hit....go done two levels. I had a day where I flopped three sets, smooth called, and lost to a 2-outers each time. These pots were in 3/6 NL and they CRUSHED my bankroll. The bad beats were bad enough but it cause my poker skills to get WORSE since I lost my confidence AND my aggressiveness... As a result i went bust 1 week or two later. I've climb my way back from the small stakes NL games and I'm a better player because of it...

Good luck..
Old 09-15-2004, 03:46 AM

I love the baseball comparison. I think the same can be said for starting out. Too many want to make the jump from Rookie League to the Big Leagues in a very fast time.
Old 09-15-2004, 04:08 PM

Trying to improve your skills at the micro level will be about as successful as a major league baseball player going to down to little league baseball to improve his skills.

Going down two levels is PLENTY provided you give yourself an adequate bankroll.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:34 AM

I predict it would take you about 15 seconds to get bored of playing .02/.04 with your bankroll on Party.

If you have time to play poker, but don't want to play 10/20, just drop down and play something smaller to make money for college expenses. Or maybe play some $20 and $30 MTT's, to work on your tournament game. Playing penny micros would be no use at all.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:37 AM

i want to hear some of these bad bear stories.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:45 AM

Old 09-15-2004, 07:03 AM

baaaad bear indeed!