Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2004, 06:25 PM

Default KK in BB, AQx Flop

Let me first apologize if this has been covered a million other times. I'm getting frustrated applying the concepts of all the books I read, and just being break even. So...I will be trying to post a lot of hands I have confusion on to try and help myself improve. I thank any and all responses.

I am new to this table and don't have any prior notes on the players imvolved...

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $1.50.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO (poster) folds, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (11 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG folds.

River: (12 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 14 BB, between MP2 and Hero.</font>

Do I check the turn and call this guy down, or do I dump after the raise considering his PFR? I seem to over apply the whole 'call when the pot is large' idea from SSH and it gets me in trouble.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:44 PM

Default Re: KK in BB, AQx Flop

I can't put MP2 on AA, otherwise he would have capped pre-flop, but is he holding Ax or AQ? KK is always tough to play with an A on the board. I like your play though. With the raise on the turn, he might have AQ, and slowplayed his top two pair on the flop. I don't think you have any other choice but to call the raise on the turn, and check call on the river?

Anybody raise or fold here? Either on the turn or the river?
Old 09-14-2004, 07:33 PM

Here's the thing. I have a hard time laying something like that down on the turn as well. But put yourself in MP2's shoes. He saw you 3-bet PF and bet the flop. Yet despite that fact, he's raising the turn, essentially saying he either has top pair, or can beat it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see AK played that way, as a lot of passive Party'ers will not cap with it. But more likely I could see QQ being his holding, as he waited until the turn to show strength. AQ as well.

Against a rational opponent, folding the turn, while difficult, probably is correct. At Party 1/2 though? Depends on my read and mood. I will call down sometimes, which may be costing me money in the long run.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:12 AM

I think it would be best to fold to the turn raise. It's not heads up, UTG is still in. Thus I find it very unlikely that MP2 is bluffing or even semi-bluffing (he had a golden opportunity for that on the flop, hoping to get a free card on the turn if he was on a flush draw).

And also, UTG could be on the flush draw and draw out on you.

When it comes back to you raised on the turn your pot odds are 11:1 which is a lot but I think you won't win this enough times to make the call +EV, especially since you most likely will have to call a bet on the river as well.

What do you think of this?